This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a laptop boot without CMOS?

#1AlkVelronPosted 9/15/2013 5:38:44 PM(edited)
I was under the impression that they couldn't. I tried resetting a BIOS password by removing and placing back the CMOS battery. Unfortunately, the piece of crap broke off at the tiniest touch. I was worried that I had broken the laptop, but then I turned it on and it booted up to the BIOS password anyway. So did that change or was I mistaken?

---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#2Knight2520Posted 9/15/2013 5:34:56 PM
The way I understand it, the only thing the CMOS stores is changes to the BIOS. Without a CMOS battery the BIOS will go back to default settings every time the laptop is turned off.
#3AlkVelron(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 5:36:35 PM
Knight2520 posted...
The way I understand it, the only thing the CMOS stores is changes to the BIOS. Without a CMOS battery the BIOS will go back to default settings every time the laptop is turned off.

Oh. Well that's not a big deal if it's the case (I also know it won't keep track of time). I was worried maybe I had broken it.
---
#4mrCubePosted 9/15/2013 5:37:07 PM
What exactly broke off? The thing that holds the motherboard battery?
---
---
#5Davel23Posted 9/15/2013 5:37:29 PM
Generally to reset a laptop BIOS you have to remove the BIOS battery (if it's accessible), remove the laptop's main battery, and unplug it from the wall.
---
Your mom's box.
#6AlkVelron(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 5:38:04 PM
mrCube posted...
What exactly broke off? The thing that holds the motherboard battery?

Yup. It was literally held on by a little plastic piece and a drop of solder. I gently pushed on the battery a bit and it snapped off.
---
#7mrCubePosted 9/15/2013 5:39:58 PM
Ah yeah, then your BIOS is just going to be reset every time you reboot.
---
---