This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a router be used as an access point?

#1GhettoLogisticsPosted 9/15/2013 10:08:40 PM
I currently have Comcast high speed internet, but the modem/router is in another room. Is it possible to turn a modem/router into an access point so that it receives the wifi signal and can provide that signal via ethernet to my PC?
#2SlaynPosted 9/15/2013 10:10:21 PM
yes
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3WerdnAndreWPosted 9/15/2013 10:10:45 PM
Depends if the router has the feature. You can flash certain routers to have this feature, take a look at DD-WRT and see if your router is supported.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#4GhettoLogistics(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 10:10:51 PM
Can this be done with any modem/router? Specifically I have a spare Actiontec Q1000 laying around.
#5FustmonkeyPosted 9/15/2013 10:43:26 PM(edited)
That's a DSL modem/gateway, and I don't see it in the DDWRT database, I don't think a gateway would work with DDWRT, or Tomato.

I generally like the WRT54GL for things like this. It is easy to flash, and the WRT54GL has great range when flashed, with the default settings (no special tweaking necessary). But if there's better options (cheaper and reliable, with great range) I'd welcome another option.

DDWRT has wonderful support on it's site (or the wiki site) with guides that walk you through step by step for anything you are trying to do, such as create an access point or wireless bridge. I've never had to visit forums for help with DDWRT, everything you need to know is usually in those tutorials.

I confuse the terms myself sometimes, I think what you mean to ask for is a wireless bridge:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Standard_bridge_large.jpg

The guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Note that the wireless bridge needs to be something such as a flashed router with DDWRT. But your main router does not need anything special done to it.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"