This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A curious question. Sager Laptop GPU fan continues to run after I quit any game.

#1zxelmanPosted 9/16/2013 5:14:08 AM
But the GPU fan stops when I start a new game, and it may run faster, slower, or the same depending on the game (which is normal), yet continue to run with that speed, whatever it is. The question is, is this normal?

I ask because my laptop has two GPUs (integrated - Intel, dedicated - Nvidia), and two fans for the CPU and GPU. It USED to only have to run one fan when I'm just browsing. Somewhat recently, it's been running the GPU fan after the game has already stopped.

The GPU fan only actually stops when I either reset my laptop or if I run HWmonitor to monitor the temperatures. At this point, I can kind of play with the fan a bit:

By opening HWmonitor, it's AS IF the computer finally knows the GPU's temp and stops the fan accordingly, but HWmonitor itself turns the GPU on and raises it only 5 degrees Celsius. At 44 degrees, the fan turns on but it runs softly, keeping the temperature still until I turn off HWmonitor. The GPU fan will continue to run softly until I re-open HWmonitor, in which it will turn the GPU fan off again until HWmonitor pushes it from 35 (idle) to 44, unless I stop it again. In which case, I can browse without my GPU fan running.

The paragraph above is just my experimentation with the weird occurrence, but I don't think it's doing anything bad. It's just weird that if I were to exit a highly demanding game, the fan would run pretty fast and just a bit loud until I open up HWmonitor to calm it down.

TL;DR: Just read the opening statements.
#2MuhammadJAPosted 9/16/2013 5:24:07 AM
Does the fan run for a long time after you quit playing or only for a few minutes?
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, home of the Drama Queens.
Where you can get modded for stating your opinion.
#3zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 5:25:19 AM
MuhammadJA posted...
Does the fan run for a long time after you quit playing or only for a few minutes?

Feels like it is indefinite until I reset the laptop or run HWmonitor. In which, you know, does the stuff I said.
#4MuhammadJAPosted 9/16/2013 5:32:08 AM
My laptop's fan stops running after a few seconds when I quit any game. I had it since last year and no problems so far. Maybe it's normal?
---
#5zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 5:36:53 AM
Mine used to do it. Now it does this, which doesn't seem to be messing up anything which is fine. It's just odd to hear a fan running fast for no good reason.

If it's normal, I can deal with it, but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows what is going on.
#6MuhammadJAPosted 9/16/2013 5:57:49 AM
Try doing the basic things: ccleaner, defragler. Also, make sure it's clean from any dust.
---
#7sfcalimariPosted 9/16/2013 6:36:49 AM
My new MSI laptop would blow its GTX 670M fan really loudly and randomly all the time, when gaming or not. It would be annoying because I'd just be browsing the web and it would blow really loud for like 10 seconds now and then. I tinkered with MSI Afterburner a bunch and now it only blows loud when playing games. Monitored the temps and it's fine.

Also try to make sure your computer is switching from the dedicated GPU to the integrated Intel gpu thingy when you stop playing games. The way they switch is kind of hard to figure out how to control.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#8ZeroRaiderPosted 9/16/2013 9:35:58 AM
After you are finished gaming, close all applications which use the discrete GPU so it will turn off.

Punch FN+1 to ramp fan up to full speed and press it again and it will reset the fan to off and it will then ramp up according to GPU's current temperature (which should be low enough that the fan will now be silent if you have all discrete GPU applications closed so it keeps the GPU off)

You can do the Fn+1 trick quickly in succession so you don't have to hear your laptop go full jet engine.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 9/16/2013 9:38:41 AM
sfcalimari posted...
My new MSI laptop would blow its GTX 670M fan really loudly and randomly all the time, when gaming or not. It would be annoying because I'd just be browsing the web and it would blow really loud for like 10 seconds now and then. I tinkered with MSI Afterburner a bunch and now it only blows loud when playing games. Monitored the temps and it's fine.

Also try to make sure your computer is switching from the dedicated GPU to the integrated Intel gpu thingy when you stop playing games. The way they switch is kind of hard to figure out how to control.

That's probably it switching graphics modes.
My laptop with a 7600 used to do that. In Windows I could lock it to high performance, in Linux I couldn't.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10SilentHawk29Posted 9/16/2013 10:04:25 AM
Try looking for a bios update.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg