This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Uh just how safe and secure are Battle.net, Steam and LoL accounts???

#1HellsingOrgPosted 9/16/2013 5:52:01 AM
All I hear is "email got hacked this" or "my account got hacked that"

I'm getting really paranoid and like change my password and switch my emails around monthly because I'm worried this is a common occurence and someone is going to steal my info and get into my account and hack it and stuff.

Is this really common?

Should I really be making 32 long character passwords and using email accounts that I dont care about so if they get hacked my private info isn't lost?

I'm just a bit worried by all of this stuff I hear. >_<
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#2ThescyyPosted 9/16/2013 5:56:06 AM
Pretty much the vast majority of those people likely got keyloggers off sites they chose to go to. It's very rare for these accounts to actually be hacked in the sense of someone wanting to get your password specifically.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#3Ch3wyPosted 9/16/2013 5:56:07 AM
My Steam password isn't very secure and my account has never been hacked. I'm not too worried about it thanks to the Steam Guard thing.

Battle.net is Blizzard, right? A lot of phishing goes on with that, I've gotten phishing emails when I don't even have an account for it.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#4Bikes-Posted 9/16/2013 6:00:14 AM
Never had problem with steam (especially now that there's steamguard it should be ok), Battlenet though I keep getting emails saying my account was hacked an disabled, of course it's hard to tell if they're phishing emails or legit and since I don't use my account anymore I never looked into it.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 9/16/2013 6:02:36 AM
steam has steamguard so if you suddenly get an email about an unauthorized computer, switch out your password.

with blizzard get an authenticator and be very specific when it comes to typing info.

i went through a password retrieval process and had a lengthy chat with support and had to provide a passport picture etc. because i used the wrong name when signing up >_>.

LoL is just... ugh.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:05:35 AM
Ch3wy posted...
My Steam password isn't very secure and my account has never been hacked. I'm not too worried about it thanks to the Steam Guard thing.

Battle.net is Blizzard, right? A lot of phishing goes on with that, I've gotten phishing emails when I don't even have an account for it.

Yeah I remember getting "you're battle.net account was hacked click here" emails even before I HAD a battle.net account!

I bet it has to do with the fact that WoW and SC2 have huge install bases worlwide and there are players in china dedicated to just account hacking and selling accounts.
---
#7reincarnator07Posted 9/16/2013 6:10:53 AM
Can't speak for LoL, but I only got hacked once on battle.net, and I was a dumbass teenager with no authenticator. So long as you have an authenticator and don't click on everything, you should be fine. I'd advise a seperate email account for battle.net that is used for nothing else. That way, if you get any messages from blizz, you can be fairly confident they are genuine.

Never had any problems with Steam. With Steam Guard, it's basically like an authenticator. Unless someone was specifically after you, I wouldn't worry.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8gfaqsterPosted 9/16/2013 6:46:30 AM
getting a LoL account hacked is no loss.

I don't understand why people like this game.

one day I tried it out.

>game feels like a beta
>server and installation problems galore
>free 2 play
>micro transactions
>probably some of the rudest and unkind people in gaming (dota 2 and SC2) get the remainder.

deleted it soon after I got it.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#9DerPancakePosted 9/16/2013 6:47:22 AM
Not as safe as Origin.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#10HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 10:26:19 AM
DerPancake posted...
Not as safe as Origin.

does anyone even use that?
---