This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First game in a while not to lose to hype?

#21Snuckie7Posted 9/16/2013 1:40:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#22Ch3wyPosted 9/16/2013 1:45:05 PM
Boge posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Boge posted...
User reviews are useless because of the fanboism.

Yes, I read the whole review and your quote is way off. They said it could have been game of the decade if they'd have some half decent characters in the game, but because most of the game you're stuck with these piles of crap which you couldn't care less about, it completely mars the experience.

"they wasted it on portraying characters you don't want to spend five minutes with, let alone the hours it would take to play through the game's story."

In other words, playing as these characters in this story is NOT FUN AT ALL.

Not fun at all for an overly PC soccer mom, maybe. But everyone else seems to be enjoying playing as them.

They just didn't like the characters because they were evil.

Funny you mention that:

The escapist review by - Greg Tito 7/10
IGN review by - Keza McDonald (female) 10/10

I didn't say you wouldn't like it if you were a woman, I know the reviewer is a guy. Doesn't mean he can't be a soccer mom.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#23BogePosted 9/16/2013 1:54:28 PM(edited)
What does that even mean? That you have some decency to yourself? That you have some respect for others? That you know what appropriate behavior is and why we use it towards each other? Isn't that what we, as human beings, should be trying to accomplish in our lives?

If that's the case, then hell! Sign me on as a soccer mom. I certainly don't want to be one of those that people couldn't care less about.

For me, it's all about being able to relate with the character. I can get behind the anti-hero, the one that is stuck doing bad things for a good reason, but to be a total scumbag criminal, kill and steal because it's fun mentality. I can't relate to that and the actions get really old knowing the reason behind it. I guess I just expect most of humanity to feel the same, but I'm wrong. Most enjoy killing and stealing and blowing up stuff all just for kicks.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#24Ch3wyPosted 9/16/2013 2:02:31 PM
Boge posted...
What does that even mean? That you have some decency to yourself? That you have some respect for others? That you know what appropriate behavior is and why we use it towards each other? Isn't that what we, as human beings, should be trying to accomplish in our lives?

If that's the case, then hell! Sign me on as a soccer mom. I certainly don't want to be one of those that people couldn't care less about.

For me, it's all about being able to relate with the character. I can get behind the anti-hero, the one that is stuck doing bad things for a good reason, but to be a total scumbag criminal, kill and steal because it's fun mentality. I can't relate to that and the actions get really old knowing the reason behind it. I guess I just expect most of humanity to feel the same, but I'm wrong. Most enjoy killing and stealing and blowing up stuff all just for kicks.

I'll admit soccer mom probably is a little inaccurate in his case since that's really a stereotype more about censorship and he isn't suggesting the game should be banned or anything.

I just don't think a game should be knocked down because it's not all cupcakes and bunnies. Just because someone plays a game about bad people doesn't make them a bad person. It's not real life or anything.

Most every story out there is about the good guys to some extent, why not make some about the bad guys?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#25kbe2k2Posted 9/16/2013 2:23:57 PM
akuma634 posted...
I laugh at the idea of publishers paying internet critics for high review scores. That would be a complete waste of money and it wouldn't fool anybody when a handful of reviews give a game a 10 and 80 critics give it a 3/10 or lower. It's time to take off the tinfoil hat.

From what I understand these sites are funded by advertising money so publishers can easily influence scores.

Jeff Gerstmann basically explains it all in the interview he did with Gamespot after the Giant Bomb merger, oddly enough it was Gamespot under different management that fired him all those years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagFPnSG0j4#t=06m30s
#26MarceloSampaioPosted 9/17/2013 6:32:57 AM(edited)
akuma634 posted...
I laugh at the idea of publishers paying internet critics for high review scores. That would be a complete waste of money and it wouldn't fool anybody when a handful of reviews give a game a 10 and 80 critics give it a 3/10 or lower. It's time to take off the tinfoil hat.

They don't really PAY the critics, they threat them.

If IGN gave GTA 5 a low score, Rockstar would deny them early access to the game, meaning IGN would only be able to post a review later than its competitors.

This happens quite often. I've seen this happen, I know people who actually lost their jobs because they where disobeying the order to 'overscore' a so-so game. Hell, 2K Games even stated that they will review WHO will get, and who will not get, early access to their future games, because of the bad scores Duke Nukem Forever got.

Not only that, but as Kbe2k2 posted, "these sites are funded by advertising money so publishers can easily influence scores." If IGN gives a R* game a four or a five, for example, R* can choose NOT to buy any advertise space from IGN anymore.

Of course you can choose NOT to believe this, and live forever in the fantasy world you live in. ;)

BTW, I'm not saying that a game like GTA 5 doesn't deserve a high score (I didn't even played this yet), but remember: 10/10 is stating that the game is near perfect. Its a strong claim, specially aimed at an open world game!

People nowdays forget that 5 is the average score, and that a game that gets an 8 is an amazing game. People nowdays wants 10 for good games and 0 for bad games, ignoring the existence of 2 to 9 scores.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#27_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/17/2013 7:02:05 AM(edited)
What is overhyped anyway?

How do you determine when something gets too much hype. Honestly, when you open the GTA box heaven does not descend upon you and the reincarnation of Michael Jackson will not perform "off the wall" in your living room. However, the game does deliver all the things that people have been looking forward to, and does it in a bigger and better way than any installment of the series before it. Unless the hype around it created some really irrational expectations , I would say it kind of delivers.

About the score. Honestly I can work out for myself whether a game is deserving of its scores or not. It is really easy to like GTA5, and even just looking at it objectively and all the game is trying to achieve, it has some obvious appeal and production values that you can not deny even if you are not in to the game. I do not find it hard to believe this game gets rave reviews. I find it much easier to accept than, for example, yet another virtually identical version of COD getting straight 9's for the 6th year in a row. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of review scores that I find suspect, but this is not really one of them.

My favorite review site is a Dutch one that reviews games extensively (not compressed into a 7 minute format) and does not even give a score. Their reviews give me a better idea of what a game is like than all of those crap sites people mention in this thread.

I think that a 0-10 scoring system for a game is a bit BS. Especially when using the decimals. It pretends to have a level of accuracy and objectivity that is just not possible for things like video games. If you have to score it, at least use like a 5 star system or something similar. I disagree however that 5 is the average score when using a 0-10 scoring system. It is neither the statistical average of scores given to past games, nor is it the agreed upon score that you give an average game. Scoring conventions from anything from school scoring cards to dancing competitions are that a 7 is decent but unremarkable, and the other scores follow suit according to their relative distance to 7. There is no inherent mathematical logic to it, just the implicit agreement and scoring conventions that has always been used. I also think that people need to accept that scoring a game will always be subjective. When someone scores something high or low, it does not mean he or she is always wrong when it does not match your own assessment of a game. I actually WANT to see some high scores for some games deemed mediocre, and some low scores for games deemed outstanding by the general audience. The only thing I do not want to see is outside influences in scoring the game.

I agree that 10/10 is a strong statement. But that might be the reason why maybe sometimes it should be used. Nothing is perfect, and no game will ever achieve total perfection in every way imaginable. But there are some games that are developed that sometimes people feel are pretty much as good as it gets. Rewarding games like this with a 10/10 can be both meaningful and deserved in my opinion. For me, a game like Starcraft, Grim Fandango, Counter Strike 1.6, Deus Ex, Baldur's etc. could all be rewarded with a 10/10 and I would not feel like that is not justified. To me, these are games you see maybe once every generation if we are lucky, and in a lot of ways they do present the benchmark against which future games will be compared.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#28BogePosted 9/17/2013 11:22:08 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
People nowdays forget that 5 is the average score, and that a game that gets an 8 is an amazing game. People nowdays wants 10 for good games and 0 for bad games, ignoring the existence of 2 to 9 scores.

Ever notice how an average game gets a 7/10 these days? The worst scores I ever see are about 5/10. An 8/10 should be a really good game, oddly it's just a bit better than average.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#29_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/17/2013 11:51:30 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

Ever notice how an average game gets a 7/10 these days? The worst scores I ever see are about 5/10. An 8/10 should be a really good game, oddly it's just a bit better than average.

That would make sense. Scoring conventions are for 7/10 to be an ok, unremarkable, average game. 5/10 does not reflect an average. The fact that it is the median is irrelevant. There is no mathematical logic to it, just the way people have agreed on scoring things one a 0-10 scale. 5/10 is neither the agreed upon number to score an average game, nor the average score given to past games. Scoring is done this way everywhere. Including, for example, student report cards in most places that are not the US (where they use letters for some reason). Using a similar scale but having the scores reflecting different things from what people are used to is not a good idea.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H