This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm trying to fix Windows XP for a client, but there are way too many problems..

#1castrejon04Posted 9/16/2013 12:17:29 PM
Should I suggest a windows xp re-install?

Here are all the problems I encountered so far:

Windows XP start menu and bar won't even show up. Desktop icons are the only things shown on the desktop. There is something wrong with explorer.exe
Windows Search Index is corrupted and requires a re-install, sfc scan did not fix it.
Some programs won't even launch, internet explorer is one of them.
DriveManager keeps crashing, a program use by the user.
I can't install an antivirus program since it may not launch at all.

I could try and fix them, but could take hours to do so.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#2Lord_XandrosPosted 9/16/2013 12:18:55 PM
Why not just try a repair?
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/
#3sirtonnePosted 9/16/2013 12:21:13 PM
Repair technician using gamefaqs for advice... wat.
#4castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 12:21:39 PM
A windows xp repair from the disc? I would do that, but I only have the Windows XP Pro disc and this OS is Windows XP Media Center. Wouldn't that make it worse in this case?
---
#5youngfossilPosted 9/16/2013 12:22:40 PM
as a computer technician i say just wipe and format and reinstall OS, but I'm lazy
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#6castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 12:25:12 PM
sirtonne posted...
Repair technician using gamefaqs for advice... wat.

Dude, I'm still learning.
---
#7InsuRnPosted 9/16/2013 12:59:30 PM
If you want to learn, the best thing to do is to fix it without formatting. And the next time you'll see one of these problems, you'll be able to fix it faster.
I always find the "format and reinstall" solutions "lazy". Nearly every problems can be fixed.
---
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - i5 2500k - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 OC - 8Gb G.SKILL DDR3 - Crucial M4 SSD - ASUS BD-R - CM Storm Trooper /// PS3 - X360 - Wii U
#8wizardmonPosted 9/16/2013 1:23:06 PM
XP media was terrible, driver support for it was very hit and miss, mostly miss though.
He's using a bad unsupported dead OS, and you can't win them all.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#9JockoPosted 9/16/2013 2:24:54 PM
Are you still having the same issue in Safe Mode? If so then honestly this sounds like a perfect situation to re-install the OS. I think you're going to tear your hair out trying to fix everything. Too many weird quirky Windows related issues. Sounds like a virus/spyware hosed things up.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#10castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 2:41:05 PM
Jocko posted...
Are you still having the same issue in Safe Mode? If so then honestly this sounds like a perfect situation to re-install the OS. I think you're going to tear your hair out trying to fix everything. Too many weird quirky Windows related issues. Sounds like a virus/spyware hosed things up.

I ran the repair mode on Windows XP setup, now it's just upgrading to Windows XP Pro which is NOT what I wanted. I thought the repair would re-install windows system files, not actually upgrading or re-installing windows without formatting it.

So my final solution, take out the hardrive, do a virus scan and recover all personal data. Wipe out the hardrive and do a clean install.

I think fixing every little problem would be too much of a headache even if I did succeed, there is no guaranteed that everything will go way.

Now where to buy Windows XP pro at the best price?
---