This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying a surge protector. How important is it really?

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 9/16/2013 1:19:17 PM(edited)
In terms of picking the right one. I've come to realize that I have way too much crap plugged into a single area of my room. I have a power strip but it's some random one I found around the house & I do not trust it especially with the amount of power outages I get from storms. Any recommendations here?

Is this good or over priced for my needs?

(sorry, forgot the link).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021132

---
i5-3570k w/ 212 Evo | Z77 Extreme4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC Edition | 16GB of RAM | XFX PRO650w CE | 600GB WD | Fractal Design Define R4 case | 1080p.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/16/2013 1:20:13 PM
You forgot the link....

The safest I have found is to use a UPS as a surge protector. They actually fry before the rest of your stuff and don't pass on the charge.

In my setup, the PC is on the battery side, and a power bar is plugged into the surge protection side so everything on that bar is protected.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3El_KazPosted 9/16/2013 2:45:33 PM(edited)
EpicKingdom_ posted...
I do not trust it especially with the amount of power outages I get from storms.

Do keep in mind that no surge protector will ever be enough to protect your PC if lightning strikes really close to your house.
Unplugging all electronics is always a good idea during a storm.
---
Wait... what?
#4fataliPosted 9/16/2013 3:16:32 PM
You can get a voltage regulator instead, it wold be more helpful than just the surge protector and not much more expensive.

Even better would be to have a UPS with voltage regulator integrated.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.