This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which pc exclusives actually require a legitimate gaming pc?

#51BogePosted 9/17/2013 4:59:19 PM
To be honest, I don't think there is a PC exclusive that I enjoy playing that requires a high end machine. I like having a high end machine because 720p@20fps just doesn't cut it for me. A PC is the ONLY place where I can have it better.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#52Another_CyzykPosted 9/17/2013 5:11:53 PM
PC exclusive is a funny term.

I'm playing Morrowind right now with about 15 mods installed. I would never touch the base game on a console again.
#53stalemate_666(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 6:41:37 PM
CloudZ1116 posted...
TC do you enjoy flight sims? If you do, check out Freespace 2. The vanilla game was released in '99 so it's not too demanding, but with the latest fan made expansions your frame rate will definitely drop if you're running on an older CPU. Yes, the game is usually CPU, not GPU limited, though you'll also want a nicer GPU to get the most out of the open source graphics assets.

Nope hate sims I like video games that throw away conventional thinking in favor of something more awesome then reality. To me a game being really realistic is a bad thing.

OmegaDL50 posted...
Implying the PC specifications of the game is supposed to match what the console versions specifications are run to. Of course I shouldn't NEED to tell you there is a difference between a closed highly optimized platform with no OS overhead or API's to get in the way of game (Console) over an open platform which there is never a singular optimized configuration due to hundreds of variations in terms of hardware in terms of CPU, GPU, and RAM used (PC)

Because of these lack of optimizations that emphasize on a single hardware set that consists of an identical CPU, GPU, RAM configuration (i.e all PS3's are same performance wise, All 360's are the same performance wise, There is no variation present. A game designed for a PS3 will run on ALL PS3's just the same for a 360 game will run on ALL 360's)

This doesn't happen on the PC and thus the same games on consoles re-released on PC generally have higher requirements in compensation due to lack of optimization because of a broader scope of hardware to deal with.

The point is this, There are PC exclusives and they exist regardless whether a user has a High end or low end PC, just the fact there are console exclusives that exist. Just because you dislike the genre of some of the games does NOT negate the existence of some of them needing higher end hardware.

To claim otherwise would be arguing for the sake of arguing and is pointless as semantics!

So far I've only confirmed like 3 games that require a higher end pc that are exclusive to pc... so yeah they exist they are still rare and few and far between and I can't even tell if they are good or not because I don't give a crap about the genre so I don't know what to compare them to.

And I know pc's are far less optimized then consoles that just adds to the whole what's the point of a gaming pc beyond up-scaling and why are these people bragging about having the best/most exclusives and never naming any. For the record I wasn't claiming otherwise.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#54JKatarnPosted 9/17/2013 7:17:47 PM
strongo9 posted...
Sonic Generations.

It's so poorly optimized that even when it's on the lowest settings and running at a resolution of 768p the framerate is way too choppy to be played on the laptop in my sig. The same laptop handles a lot of new, better-looking games like a champ though.

According to this: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

You can squeak out around 30 fps on Crysis 2 at high settings, and given that the game can technically be run on a Core 2 Duo with an 8800, something tells me it's a problem with your system/something running in the background etc. rather than the game being "unoptimized". True, there are the occasional bad ports/unoptimized titles but I've found in most cases it's a system configuration/background program/heat/driver/component failure issue rather than the game itself.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#55JKatarnPosted 9/17/2013 7:21:47 PM
Allmattered posted...
Slayn posted...
It's a troll topic because there really is no point of the entire thread. So what if there were 5x the amount of games that required a better PC to run? Then what? Will that make anything better? Then people will just say PC is crap because it requires so much hardware and money.

PC titles have high requirements? PC is crap.
PC titles have loq requirements? PC is crap.

QQ, get off our PC board.

So PC doesnt require so much hardware and memory then?

It all depends on what you want to play, if you want to play cutting edge games at high/max settings, you're going to need ample hardware, but if you're satisfied with baseline/medium settings in games (which are typically still superior to the console versions graphically/performance wise) you don't need a powerhouse system. That's the beauty of PC gaming, you have a choice - with consoles, you're stuck with the visuals and performance a dev gives you, because that's all they can get out of that system, and aside from adding a camera/HD etc., you can't do much to improve the system itself.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#56Snuckie7Posted 9/17/2013 7:30:09 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
So far I've only confirmed like 3 games that require a higher end pc that are exclusive to pc... so yeah they exist they are still rare and few and far between and I can't even tell if they are good or not because I don't give a crap about the genre so I don't know what to compare them to.

And I know pc's are far less optimized then consoles that just adds to the whole what's the point of a gaming pc beyond up-scaling and why are these people bragging about having the best/most exclusives and never naming any. For the record I wasn't claiming otherwise.

ITP: 3 =

Snuckie7 posted...
Crysis: Warhead
Civilization V
Guild Wars 2
Medieval II: Total War
Empire: Total War
Napolean: Total War
Total War: Shogun 2
Total War: Rome 2
ARMA II
ARMA III
PlanetSide 2
Sins of a Solar Empire
Starcraft 2
Anno 2070
Star Citizen

---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#57Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/18/2013 8:40:17 AM
This is dumb. Why would I ever play a game on a console and be forced to deal with awful resolutions and graphics if I could play a better version on my PC.

TC, why don't you list some console games that play at a steady 60FPS at 1080p? You can't, because they don't exist. If I make the benchmark for "requiring" a gaming PC 60FPS at 1080p, every single "AAA" title "requires" a gaming PC.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#58stalemate_666(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 3:40:18 PM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
This is dumb. Why would I ever play a game on a console and be forced to deal with awful resolutions and graphics if I could play a better version on my PC.

TC, why don't you list some console games that play at a steady 60FPS at 1080p? You can't, because they don't exist. If I make the benchmark for "requiring" a gaming PC 60FPS at 1080p, every single "AAA" title "requires" a gaming PC.

I care about gameplay not resolution, I don't get why people make such a big deal over resolution it doesn't change the game one bit and since pc has so much less retail sku games the only reason to have a gaming pc is if you want to play console games and are a graphics whore.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#591618dudePosted 9/18/2013 3:54:43 PM
stalemate_666 posted...

I care about gameplay not resolution, I don't get why people make such a big deal over resolution it doesn't change the game one bit and since pc has so much less retail sku games the only reason to have a gaming pc is if you want to play console games and are a graphics whore.

Or maybe because some people like KB/M controls (and they can still enjoy a controller if they want), mods, RTS, FPS and sims games... What exactly is your point? If you don't care about these things, what exactly do you want to hear? 60FPS and 1080p also happens, in my opinion, to offer a smooth gameplay experience, but, what do I know? Probably I'm just graphics whore that want to play console games on my pc.

Sigh... These topics are hopeless.
#60Combo MasterPosted 9/18/2013 4:06:41 PM
stalemate_666 posted...

Resolution changes old games a HUGE amount. It is an eye soar to play last gen games ps2 and gamecube on an hdtv upscaled or a 4:3 crappy sdtv. If you can get pcsx2 and dolphin to run games at 1080p looking and running good it is like a whole new game you are playing and a much better experience.
---
Combo Master