This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Laptop's HDD died. Operating system question.

#1the_cajun88Posted 9/16/2013 8:20:29 PM
I bought a SSD to replace it.

The laptop came preinstalled with Windows 8. I would like to reinstall that so that I can go ahead and update it to Windows 8.1.

I know about imaging the drive to transfer stuff to the new one, but my old drive isn't responding to anything. Not in the laptop, in an enclosure, or in a SATA to USB adapter.

Everything is under warranty, so I'm between waiting 3-6 weeks to get my laptop back from the manufacturer or buying a new OS. The problem is, I opened the hard drive and according to the sticker, that voids the warranty. If they do fix it, I'm planning on installing the SSD in the hard drive bay and taking the disc drive out and replacing it with a carriage for the original HDD.

Do you think they wouldn't be able to tell I opened it? I don't want to send it off for all that time for it to be sent back. What would you do in this situation?
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg
#2LaMichael_JamesPosted 9/16/2013 8:34:56 PM(edited)
what do you mean by you opened the hard drive? you unscrewed it and looked at the plates?

is the sticker with the dyes that change color and are placed on an area where they will crack when you open the computer? if not then you're fine

i'd just change the hdd to ssd and not worry at all. most if not all manufacturers allow the RAM/storage to be upgraded by owner through a maintenance hatch without warranty issues, plus it's easy as hell to do and almost impossible to screw up.

only laptop i had a problem with taking out the hdd was the t420/t430. man what a b****
---
GOAT
#3the_cajun88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 8:38:09 PM(edited)
LaMichael_James posted...
what do you mean by you opened the hard drive? you unscrewed it and looked at the plates?

is the sticker with the dyes that change color and are placed on an area where they will crack when you open the computer? if not then you're fine

i'd just change the hdd to ssd and not worry at all. most if not all manufacturers allow the RAM/storage to be upgraded by owner through a maintenance hatch without warranty issues, plus it's easy as hell to do and almost impossible to screw up.

only laptop i had a problem with taking out the hdd was the t420/t430. man what a b****

I took the hard drive out, then unscrewed the six screws on the top and four on the side. I looked inside it, then immediately put it back together.

If I put the new SSD in my computer, how will I solve my OS problem?
---
#4Knight2520Posted 9/16/2013 9:02:45 PM(edited)
For the record, opening a hard drive is a very bad idea. You need a clean environment to handle those, cleaner than an operating room. You done goofed. I don't know if they'll be able to tell though.

Now, I think Windows 8 laptops have something about their product key being stored within the BIOS or something (instead of the stickers underneath laptops), so you might just need a Windows 8 disc and try to install. Google your laptop model and how to reinstall Windows 8 on it.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-
#5the_cajun88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 9:04:21 PM
Knight2520 posted...
You done goofed.

s***

Now, I think Windows 8 laptops have something about their product key being stored within the BIOS or something (instead of the stickers underneath laptops), so you might just need a Windows 8 disc and try to install.

I have a Windows 8 Pro disc from another computer. Where would I find an .ISO/disc for vanilla Windows 8?
---
#6Black_King945Posted 9/16/2013 11:27:43 PM
There aren't going to be any reputable places to download Windows 8, your best bet is either purchasing Windows 8 system builder for about 119, or requesting recovery media from the manufacturer though it may not recover to a drive differing in size from the factory drive.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#7the_cajun88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 2:58:39 PM(edited)
The drive is working again, kinda. It's stuck in the "preparing automatic repair" loop now.

I will probably end up sending it to Samsung since it's still under warranty and hope they don't see or care that I opened the HDD. Thanks guys, wish me luck.
---
#8Loserman15Posted 9/17/2013 3:03:53 PM
You can literally download a Windows 8 iso from microsoft.
#9the_cajun88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 3:06:22 PM
Loserman15 posted...
You can literally download a Windows 8 iso from microsoft.

Link?
---
#10WerdnAndreWPosted 9/17/2013 3:12:09 PM
Google.com ?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q