This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which game is a better open-world RPG? Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

#11LoshadtPosted 9/16/2013 9:04:04 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
The freedom is better in 3.

Instead of invisible walls FO3 just gives you giant piles of rubble and METRO TUNNELS which were the precursor to Draugr Dungeons.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#12GhennkinsPosted 9/16/2013 9:06:56 PM
I preferred FO3. I felt Vegas was dull and boring. The only thing good about it was Vegas which was pathetically small. Everything outside of Vegas was mind numbingly boring, uninteresting, and forgettable.

FO3 had better environments, better combat, better story, better more memorable events, larger and funner (mutant banter) enemies, better everything. Even has more and BETTER mods. I honestly have no idea why people prefer Vegas over it. Maybe they're big 'Friends' fans or for the simple fact the game has Obsidian's name on it.

New Vegas isn't 'bad' or anything, just inferior to FO3 in every way. Honestly, it feels like it should have been a short DLC or expansion to FO3.
#13KCGeminiPosted 9/16/2013 9:11:50 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
New Vegas is better.

3 has more mods.

Play 1 and 2 instead though

---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#14JairPosted 9/16/2013 9:19:25 PM
New Vegas is, on the whole, considered the better of the two. Part of it is maybe because it has a little more of that old Fallout vibe. If you have no attachment to the old Fallouts though, then I'll say you might as well go with 3, especially if you have enjoyed it in the past. It took a while to grow on me, but I liked it a little more as a pure open world RPG. New Vegas is a little tighter, a little more focused, and that has its strengths as well.
#15Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 9:23:52 PM
Jair posted...
If you have no attachment to the old Fallouts though, then I'll say you might as well go with 3, especially if you have enjoyed it in the past.

I liked it, but that game made me realize that map size is not everything. Sure, there was a huge wasteland to roam, but most of it was empty. I guess that feeling of emptiness was by design, but I would walk for long periods without seeing anything to interact with, and after a while, I felt like I was wasting my time. It sounds like NV has less of that.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#16KeeperofthedarkPosted 9/16/2013 9:33:23 PM
God, why must someone always make this topic? Why can't we just say that each game has its advantages and be done with it. People are always so caustic about which is better...
#17Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 9:37:53 PM
Keeperofthedark posted...
God, why must someone always make this topic? Why can't we just say that each game has its advantages and be done with it. People are always so caustic about which is better...

Well, I made it because I've never played either on PC, and there is a sale on both of them right now. I try to get some informed opinions before I purchase games. I usually only buy 2-3 games a year, and play them extensively, so it doesn't hurt to ask which is objectively better, IMO.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#18somebody336Posted 9/16/2013 9:38:33 PM
Fallout 3
#19Tyranius2Posted 9/16/2013 9:52:15 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Loshadt posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
invisible walls and shoehorned exploration sort of say no.

Okay, I'll give you the walls, but shoehorned exploration? I think you should slap yourself in the face for that one.

No you can't go North from the beginning without severe mechanic/geometry abuse. That makes it more linear than FO3. Not saying that there isn't exploration because there is but its less open in comparison to fo3. Again, as I said, I prefer that myself. I have well over 300 hours in FNV and 100+ in FO3. I've seen and done pretty much everything in both games. The freedom is better in 3.

>NPCs tell you not to go north because of monsters
>path north is actually hard and terrifying

It's actually a nice touch, what you think is a downside is an upside for me. If you're good enough, you can go north no problem but it's a dangerous trek just like the NPCs hyped it to be.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#20DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/17/2013 3:05:01 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
It's actually a nice touch, what you think is a downside is an upside for me.

I actually said I enjoy it. I actually like it to be more extreme like the gothic series. But objectively, FO3 is more open due to things like that and invisible walls.

100 hours versus 300 should clearly show I prefer new vegas.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1