This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Makes a terrible grinding noise on start up, once running it's fine?

#1ValkassiumPosted 9/17/2013 3:09:46 AM(edited)
So if I put my PC to sleep, or shut it down completely, often when I try to turn it back on I get a horrible grinding noise as it comes to life.

Some times this stops, and it runs fine, other times, it'll blue-screen after 5 to 10 seconds. I've not experienced this before, and if I don't blue-screen after 10 seconds or so, the noise stops and my PC runs fine. Having Googled a little, it seems this may be my PSU? Is there any real way to fix this, or do I need to just buy a new PSU?

I know about coil whine, but this definitely sounds louder and more like a grinding sound, than regular coil whine.

I'm concerned every time I turn my PC off/on now as I know if the PSU blows it could take other components with it.
---
i5 3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H |8GB XMS3 1600 | Sapphire HD 6870 | 2TB Seagate | NZXT Phantom White
GT: Dave Valkass - Steam: Dvalkass
#2snesmaster40Posted 9/17/2013 3:23:25 AM
I doubt you can fix it if it's a PSU problem. No spare PSU's lying around? You tried cleaning the inside of the computer with compressed air?
---
Are we not men?
#3Oldschool_DBZPosted 9/17/2013 3:36:01 AM
I have that problem too but it's one of my pc case fans, damn thing is so loud when I turn on pc then once it hits the destop it's normal.
---
"The more things change, the more they stay the same" -Snake Plissken Escape from L.A.
#4Valkassium(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 3:38:11 AM
Oldschool_DBZ posted...
I have that problem too but it's one of my pc case fans, damn thing is so loud when I turn on pc then once it hits the destop it's normal.

I wouldn't think a case fan would cause me to blue-screen though?

And yeah, once my PC is running, it's silent. 100% completely silent. This is what makes me believe it's a bearing in a fan, it's just rattling/grinding when it first starts up as it's slow. Once it gets to speed it's fine.
---
i5 3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H |8GB XMS3 1600 | Sapphire HD 6870 | 2TB Seagate | NZXT Phantom White
#5Damaged7Posted 9/17/2013 8:47:50 AM
My computer did the same sort of thing. Not too long after my HDD died.
---
Bold Text
#6Valkassium(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 11:33:53 AM
Damaged7 posted...
My computer did the same sort of thing. Not too long after my HDD died.

Yeah I'm trying to work out if it is the HDD and not a fan. To me, the sound doesn't sound much like a fan, it sounds almost more electronic than mechanical.

I have difficulty with my hearing though, which is making it difficult for me to pinpoint the exact location of the sound, I may give it a try again tomorrow and see what's up.

I wouldn't have much of a problem if the HDD with my OS died, but I have a 2TB drive with ALL my Steam games on, would suck if that went.
---
#7Valkassium(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 5:21:16 AM
So I tried again this morning, the sound appears to be coming from the MoBo. It's not a beep though. My front fan wasn't working, as indicated by my fan controller.

I disconnected the fan, re-started, the sound still occurred. Re-connect the fan and it now works again, the noise still happens though.

It's confusing me because the sound sounds mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically. Rather than something like a fan grinding. I've check all the fans, my ram, hard-drives, CD-drive, graphics card. Nothing seems to be the source of this sound.

Sometimes it occurs once, sometimes 2 or 3 times upon start up. It lasts ~1 second each time.
---
#8fataliPosted 9/18/2013 6:51:54 AM
Could you record the noise and upload it to youtube?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#9Valkassium(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 9:23:33 AM
fatali posted...
Could you record the noise and upload it to youtube?

Not easily, no. Nothing I've found on Youtube thus far mimics the sound either. Like I say, it's definitely not MoBo beeps.

I'm randomly having trouble with one of my fans as well now. It appears to be spinning slower, and when I turn it down on my fan controller, it turns off completely. Normally, the fans would just power down to a slower speed and not turn off. I don't know if this is related though, because when I disconnected the troublesome fan, I still got the noise on start-up.
---
#10Damaged7Posted 9/20/2013 2:59:06 PM
I feel for you TC. I'm sure i know the sound you are thinking of. Its kind of hard to describe and there isn't anything else quite like it.
---
Bold Text