This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Makes a terrible grinding noise on start up, once running it's fine?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Makes a terrible grinding noise on start up, once running it's fine?

User Info: Valkassium

Valkassium
3 years ago#1
So if I put my PC to sleep, or shut it down completely, often when I try to turn it back on I get a horrible grinding noise as it comes to life.

Some times this stops, and it runs fine, other times, it'll blue-screen after 5 to 10 seconds. I've not experienced this before, and if I don't blue-screen after 10 seconds or so, the noise stops and my PC runs fine. Having Googled a little, it seems this may be my PSU? Is there any real way to fix this, or do I need to just buy a new PSU?

I know about coil whine, but this definitely sounds louder and more like a grinding sound, than regular coil whine.

I'm concerned every time I turn my PC off/on now as I know if the PSU blows it could take other components with it.
i5 3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H |8GB XMS3 1600 | Sapphire HD 6870 | 2TB Seagate | NZXT Phantom White
GT: Dave Valkass - Steam: Dvalkass

User Info: snesmaster40

snesmaster40
3 years ago#2
I doubt you can fix it if it's a PSU problem. No spare PSU's lying around? You tried cleaning the inside of the computer with compressed air?
Are we not men?

User Info: Oldschool_DBZ

Oldschool_DBZ
3 years ago#3
I have that problem too but it's one of my pc case fans, damn thing is so loud when I turn on pc then once it hits the destop it's normal.
"The more things change, the more they stay the same" -Snake Plissken Escape from L.A.

Valkassium
3 years ago#4
Oldschool_DBZ posted...
I have that problem too but it's one of my pc case fans, damn thing is so loud when I turn on pc then once it hits the destop it's normal.

I wouldn't think a case fan would cause me to blue-screen though?

And yeah, once my PC is running, it's silent. 100% completely silent. This is what makes me believe it's a bearing in a fan, it's just rattling/grinding when it first starts up as it's slow. Once it gets to speed it's fine.
i5 3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H |8GB XMS3 1600 | Sapphire HD 6870 | 2TB Seagate | NZXT Phantom White

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 years ago#5
My computer did the same sort of thing. Not too long after my HDD died.
Bold Text

Valkassium
3 years ago#6
Damaged7 posted...
My computer did the same sort of thing. Not too long after my HDD died.

Yeah I'm trying to work out if it is the HDD and not a fan. To me, the sound doesn't sound much like a fan, it sounds almost more electronic than mechanical.

I have difficulty with my hearing though, which is making it difficult for me to pinpoint the exact location of the sound, I may give it a try again tomorrow and see what's up.

I wouldn't have much of a problem if the HDD with my OS died, but I have a 2TB drive with ALL my Steam games on, would suck if that went.

Valkassium
3 years ago#7
So I tried again this morning, the sound appears to be coming from the MoBo. It's not a beep though. My front fan wasn't working, as indicated by my fan controller.

I disconnected the fan, re-started, the sound still occurred. Re-connect the fan and it now works again, the noise still happens though.

It's confusing me because the sound sounds mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically. Rather than something like a fan grinding. I've check all the fans, my ram, hard-drives, CD-drive, graphics card. Nothing seems to be the source of this sound.

Sometimes it occurs once, sometimes 2 or 3 times upon start up. It lasts ~1 second each time.

User Info: fatali

fatali
3 years ago#8
Could you record the noise and upload it to youtube?
Mystery is the source of all true science.

Valkassium
3 years ago#9
fatali posted...
Could you record the noise and upload it to youtube?

Not easily, no. Nothing I've found on Youtube thus far mimics the sound either. Like I say, it's definitely not MoBo beeps.

I'm randomly having trouble with one of my fans as well now. It appears to be spinning slower, and when I turn it down on my fan controller, it turns off completely. Normally, the fans would just power down to a slower speed and not turn off. I don't know if this is related though, because when I disconnected the troublesome fan, I still got the noise on start-up.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 years ago#10
I feel for you TC. I'm sure i know the sound you are thinking of. Its kind of hard to describe and there isn't anything else quite like it.
Bold Text
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Makes a terrible grinding noise on start up, once running it's fine?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived