This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come 60fps looks choppier on a 120hz monitor then a 60hz monitor?

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/17/2013 12:15:07 PM
120hz displays have sharper transition times than 60hz, typically. If you were using a better 60hz, it would look choppy too.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#12MASKOAAA(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 12:49:55 PM(edited)
SmoboHash posted...
The expensive plasma has motion blur that makes 60 FPS look smoother. It also has input lag that makes it unsuitable for fast response in action-oriented games. So it's not the 120Hz that makes a difference, it's the fact that it's a low response time computer monitor.

My old 50" HDTV was great for PC gaming with a controller. 1080p at 30 or 60 FPS looked damn good, but the response time was not very good with a mouse and my aim is noticeably better in first-person games on a computer monitor.

I don't have a cheap plasma they don't have ghosting like your old HDTV I actually have a pretty high end model when switching to it 30fps console games were noticeably stuttery were b4 on my low budget TV it wasn't noticeable.

Also quality plasma's are noted for not having high input lag I think you've been misinformed.
---
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/
#13Ch3wyPosted 9/17/2013 12:58:04 PM
MASKOAAA posted...
No jumping of frames I thought it might be b/c of SLI so I went in settings and disabled one card.....still there. 60fps looks alot smoother on my expensive plasma is what I'm saying then my Asus 120hz LCD, if it was a stuttering issue wouldn't I see it on my TV?

Aren't plasma TVs 600Hz?

Also you're probably sitting farther away from the TV so it's harder to notice subtleties.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#14PanopictonguyPosted 9/17/2013 3:14:59 PM
Describe "Stutter" or "Choppy" you may be using the wrong terminology.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#15Son Of SpamPosted 9/17/2013 3:43:14 PM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
MASKOAAA posted...
No jumping of frames I thought it might be b/c of SLI so I went in settings and disabled one card.....still there. 60fps looks alot smoother on my expensive plasma is what I'm saying then my Asus 120hz LCD, if it was a stuttering issue wouldn't I see it on my TV?

Aren't plasma TVs 600Hz?

Also you're probably sitting farther away from the TV so it's harder to notice subtleties.

Actually, they are usually 60hz, sometimes 96hz. 600hz refers to a plasma's subfield drive, which is kind of like refresh rate, but not entirely. The reason plasma manufacturers started advertising this was because LCD manufacturers started advertising smooth motion 120hz TVs.

Anyway, a possible reason the 60hz plasma is getting smoother motion is because plasma TVs have a much better pixel response time than LCDs.
#16nIMr0D888Posted 9/17/2013 4:32:44 PM
I doubt it is a ghosting problem you're seeing but rather you TV is likely inserting frames in between the others which smooths it but increases input lag.

120hz is far smoother than 60hz.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#17OreoBoy206Posted 9/17/2013 5:05:46 PM(edited)
Son Of Spam posted...
Ch3wy posted...
MASKOAAA posted...

Aren't plasma TVs 600Hz?

Actually, they are usually 60hz, sometimes 96hz. 600hz refers to a plasma's subfield drive, which is kind of like refresh rate, but not entirely. The reason plasma manufacturers started advertising this was because LCD manufacturers started advertising smooth motion 120hz TVs.

Anyway, a possible reason the 60hz plasma is getting smoother motion is because plasma TVs have a much better pixel response time than LCDs.

This guy is correct.. Plasma TVs usually have better motion resolution and less motion blur than LCD panels. Plasma TVs don't need high refresh rates since they don't have a issue with motion blur/resolution due to how the technology works.
#18The cranky hermitPosted 9/17/2013 5:14:43 PM
"Motion resolution" is a crock of s***. If your LCD can change pixel colors in less than 16ms, you are getting as much "motion resolution" as any 60Hz display can.

Plasmas do have less motion blur (which is to say they don't have any natural motion blur at all), but that does nothing to enhance your temporal resolution. It's not even inherently better than having motion blur - it's just different. If anything, motion blur is a better approximation of how human vision works.

Question for TC - are you using Vsync and/or triple buffering? I would play with those settings. IIRC, GPU's can have stuttering when the frame rate falls below the refresh rate, but the right combination of Vsync + triple buffering will fix it.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!