This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

La Mulana on sale for $3.

#1uncle_DescartesPosted 9/17/2013 6:46:09 AM
I heard about this game on another forum, decided to buy it because they said it was a "Metroidvania". So far I'm only in the first dungeon but it seems pretty good. Just a few notes though before you buy:

- the graphics are of course, "retro". Looks MSX-tier but with some nifty effects here and there, like shadows and characters passing in front of each other.
- don't expect much hand-holding. Though compared to actual games from the era it visually represents, it's very hand-holdey.
- there's no autosaving. The game isn't "hard" per se, but it is one of those titles where you can spend an hour exploring and end up dying + having to restart. Beware!
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/17/2013 7:10:14 AM
People who calls things "Metroidvania" are stupid. That term was describing a CASTLEVANIA game that played like Metroid. So are you saying this game plays like Castlevania playing like Metroid?

Instead of just being, you know, like Metroid?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3uncle_Descartes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 7:11:55 AM
Go away Teenage Neet or whatever alt you are.
#4snesmaster40Posted 9/17/2013 7:15:27 AM
Where is this sale? ;_;
---
Are we not men?
#5AlexTheNextOnePosted 9/17/2013 7:17:58 AM
snesmaster40 posted...
Where is this sale?

---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~
#6SlaynPosted 9/17/2013 7:21:14 AM
Steam. Where else? The only place I buy, unless it comes with a Steam key from elsewhere.

No Steam, no buy.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#7snesmaster40Posted 9/17/2013 7:24:25 AM
Slayn posted...
Steam. Where else? The only place I buy, unless it comes with a Steam key from elsewhere.

No Steam, no buy.

Oh it is on sale on Steam. Strange as it doesn't appear on the specials list:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1#sort_by=&sort_order=ASC&specials=1&page=1
---
Are we not men?
#8TheIntangibleFatManPosted 9/17/2013 9:20:57 AM
Been waiting for a sale on this one. Thanks.
---
why wasn't SOPA passed?
i wish it had so that this board wouldn't exist - PrinceOfFallout
#9uncle_Descartes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:45:15 AM
I figure Steam is the "default" place to look for game releases, sales, etc... typically people will only point out the seller when it's NOT Steam.
#10SlaynPosted 9/19/2013 8:05:04 PM
Just want to bump this topic because the game is INCREDIBLY good. Honestly it's a shame the game isn't talked about more often. This is what I would call a hidden gem, since I rarely hear anyone mention it.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.