This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

La Mulana on sale for $3.

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/20/2013 5:14:50 AM
Slayn posted...
Well I think people call it Metroidvania because it combines the level structure of Metroid with the aesthetics of Castlevania. If you looked at screenshots, without knowing ANYTHING about the gameplay, and you asked people if it looked more like NES/SNES Castlevania or Metroid, I would wager most people would say Castlevania.

Why are you not all playing the game right now instead of not having TP on ignore? ( I'm at work ).

Feeling sick. I try to avoid playing good games when sick, cuz then I associate it with being sick and can never fully enjoy it.
It happened to Sonic Battle. :(
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#22Marioface5Posted 9/20/2013 5:27:16 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Feeling sick. I try to avoid playing good games when sick, cuz then I associate it with being sick and can never fully enjoy it.
It happened to Sonic Battle. :(

That game was so good.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#23uncle_Descartes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:17:59 AM
Well I'm a few hours in, finally reached the boss of Mausoleum of the Giants.

Fair warning: this game is not for the casual. The aforementioned area basically requires you to jot down notes from several tablets you read... it's not too hard after that, just don't be surprised if you spend an hour wandering aimlessly. Scary part is according to others it gets MUCH harder after this.
#24yarsPosted 9/20/2013 8:47:47 AM
metroid started the open world with areas locked off areas design. symphony of the night took that formula and added a lot of role playing elements to it, experience points, gaining levels, weapons and armor, stats, etc.

sotn isn't just medroid-like, it's metroid+. which is why we have the term metroidvania, to describe a genre that includes all of these features, no just those found in metroid games.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.
#25The cranky hermitPosted 9/20/2013 6:12:49 PM
But most games called "Metroidvania," including Metroid itself, don't have any of those things that SOTN added. Your rationale doesn't really work in most cases that I can think of.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#26BcowmanPosted 9/20/2013 6:18:15 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
People who calls things "Metroidvania" are stupid. That term was describing a CASTLEVANIA game that played like Metroid. So are you saying this game plays like Castlevania playing like Metroid?

Instead of just being, you know, like Metroid?

Could you recommend me some Metroidvanias?
#27yarsPosted 9/20/2013 6:40:20 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
But most games called "Metroidvania," including Metroid itself, don't have any of those things that SOTN added. Your rationale doesn't really work in most cases that I can think of.

sure it does. i didn't say most games include all of those things, i said the genre of metroidvania does. the genre is meant to include more aspects than just the things found in metroid games. but a game doesn't need to have all of those aspects to be considered a metroidvania game.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.
#28The cranky hermitPosted 9/20/2013 9:13:00 PM
i didn't say most games include all of those things, i said the genre of metroidvania does.

And I didn't say most Metroidvanias don't include all of those things. I said most Metroidvanias don't include *ANY* of those things. Your rationale does not work in such cases.
---
#29TheMisfitPosted 9/20/2013 9:21:43 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
People who calls things "Metroidvania" are stupid. That term was describing a CASTLEVANIA game that played like Metroid. So are you saying this game plays like Castlevania playing like Metroid?

Instead of just being, you know, like Metroid?

Metroidvania is a proper term. Since Metroid doesn't have RPG elements & Castlevania games do (ie. Symphony of the Night) along with Metroid-like exploration, hence the proper term.

People just use it out of context for anything with a open side scrolling mapping system.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#30The cranky hermitPosted 9/21/2013 7:24:55 AM
Other than SOTN and its sequels, what Metroid-likes have the those RPG elements? All that's coming to mind is Dust, and it's still considerably "lighter" than SOTN (which was very light to begin with).
---