This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would more VRAM help prevent Skyrim from crashing so often?

#1IronSasquatchPosted 9/17/2013 7:00:21 AM
I have like 70ish mods installed and running right now and I find myself crashing and getting infinite load times way more often than I'd prefer...

I currently only have 1GB of VRAM (GTX 560Ti) and am planning on upgrading to the 4GB GTX 770 pretty soon. I was just curious if that would help with that problem or if I should look into other solutions. I know I don't have any conflicting mods and I've run Boss to make sure my load order is good.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#2StormKMDPosted 9/17/2013 7:13:53 AM
A higher-grade gpu is gonna make it run better...lol.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#3SinisterSlayPosted 9/17/2013 7:16:19 AM
If it crashes without error, that usually means your VRAM spiked.
If it crashes with error, that usually means there is a bad script.

Endless loading... I think that was bad script as well.

But my 3gb of VRAM still gets crash to desktops every once in awhile.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4IronSasquatch(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 7:25:32 AM
StormKMD posted...
A higher-grade gpu is gonna make it run better...lol.

Insightful and useful information. Definitely the question I asked too...lol

SinisterSlay posted...
If it crashes without error, that usually means your VRAM spiked.
If it crashes with error, that usually means there is a bad script.

Endless loading... I think that was bad script as well.

But my 3gb of VRAM still gets crash to desktops every once in awhile.

It depends. I'd say about half the time it crashes without error and the other half I just sit at the loading screen forever. Although I have noticed that if I disable my ENB, it seems to happen a lot less often, so I'm pretty sure I'm just trying to get more out of my video card than it can really handle.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#5StormKMDPosted 9/17/2013 7:31:15 AM
Yeah, those ENBs really hit framerates hard. I'd suggest taking off any mods that you don't need. Can you give us your other specs? Are you playing in 1080p?
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#6IronSasquatch(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 8:07:07 AM
Not 1080p. I have an i5 3570K, not overclocked yet, GTX560Ti, 16 gigs of ram. The only time the ENB really hits my framerate too hard is when I'm on the world map. I notice that I get CTD's more often when I'm leaving an interior cell into an exterior cell too, so I'm assuming that's probably the biggest culprit.
---
#7Fossil(Moderator)Posted 9/17/2013 8:16:45 AM
If you have the HD textures installed, remove them. Problem solved.
---
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1096/austinx.png
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1108/1wyd.png