This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC shuts down randomly

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC shuts down randomly

User Info: alancal90

alancal90
3 years ago#1
Lately my computer has randomly started to shut down. I don't believe it's an overheating problem, I've opened it up look for loose connections and things of that nature. I don't get a BSOD and my computer never turns itself back on, but I can turn it back on right away. It's annoying because it occurs during gameplay, but also has happened not during games. I can't find out if it's a hardware or software problem is there some way to narrow down could be causing it?

If it makes a difference I had an i5 2500k, Radeon HD 6870, Intel BOXDH67BLB3 Motherboard, 8GB of ram, windows 8 64 bit.

User Info: TravisCombs

TravisCombs
3 years ago#2
My guess is the power supply. I've had that problem myself and the power supply was the culprit.
i5-760 @3.80GHz | 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | MSI GTX 660Ti | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | Antec 300 Illusion | Windows 7

alancal90
3 years ago#3
Something else I noticed if I'm playing a game I notice the game begins to lag a bit before it happens. I can pretty much know its coming when my game starts to lag a little.

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#4
check temps
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

alancal90
3 years ago#5
Last time it started lagging I brought up realtemp and my processor was at ~60 according to that. I saw it right before it shut down. Is it possible that program is wrong? Is there a better one to use? Also, I thought overheating caused a BSOD.

User Info: ShadowBanjo

ShadowBanjo
3 years ago#6
Overheating can cause a crash with no blue screen, happened to me a while ago. But my CPU temps were reaching the high 70's, so overheating might not be the issue here.

User Info: Blarghinston

Blarghinston
3 years ago#7
It's your powersupply, I'm almost certain.

User Info: Lootman

Lootman
3 years ago#8
Loserman15 posted...
It's your powersupply, I'm almost certain.
\(._.)/ Kanakiri posted...
._.)/ I think you broke Lootman guys
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC shuts down randomly

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived