This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My top fan is making this disturbing vibrating/grinding noise

#1BatmanchuPosted 9/17/2013 9:03:42 AM
I thought that it was maybe too much dust at first, but it seems like the fan itself has come slightly loose from the housing/motor. Is there any way to fix this? Am I better off just disconnecting the fan?
---
Step into my Hennessy sunlight
#2greenyoshi46Posted 9/17/2013 9:07:40 AM
Get a new one, fans cost like $5
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#3Batmanchu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:11:04 AM
greenyoshi46 posted...
Get a new one, fans cost like $5

I am not in a position to spend literally any money.

Looks like ill just disconnect the fan.
---
#4Batmanchu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:19:15 AM
Disconnected the fan, and my rig is now more silent than ever. Problem solved, I say.
---
#5KillerTrufflePosted 9/17/2013 9:25:47 AM
Except heat won't vent as well. You might pull the fan out and see if you can spray a bit of WD-40 into the center (if there's any gap for you to do so). It sounds to me like your fan's bearings are going bad.

If you can't fix it tho, $5 really shouldn't be all that hard to come up with. Do an odd job for someone - nearly anything should be worth at least $5. Heck, back in the early 90's I was earning $20 a pop to mow lawns.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6greenyoshi46Posted 9/17/2013 9:25:50 AM
Sweet^^
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#7Batmanchu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:39:32 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Except heat won't vent as well. You might pull the fan out and see if you can spray a bit of WD-40 into the center (if there's any gap for you to do so). It sounds to me like your fan's bearings are going bad.

If you can't fix it tho, $5 really shouldn't be all that hard to come up with. Do an odd job for someone - nearly anything should be worth at least $5. Heck, back in the early 90's I was earning $20 a pop to mow lawns.

I have a front fan and a back and bottom fan. All of my temps seem to be hovering around what they usually do.
---