This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My top fan is making this disturbing vibrating/grinding noise

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My top fan is making this disturbing vibrating/grinding noise
3 years ago#1
I thought that it was maybe too much dust at first, but it seems like the fan itself has come slightly loose from the housing/motor. Is there any way to fix this? Am I better off just disconnecting the fan?
Step into my Hennessy sunlight
3 years ago#2
Get a new one, fans cost like $5
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
3 years ago#3
greenyoshi46 posted...
Get a new one, fans cost like $5

I am not in a position to spend literally any money.

Looks like ill just disconnect the fan.
3 years ago#4
Disconnected the fan, and my rig is now more silent than ever. Problem solved, I say.
3 years ago#5
Except heat won't vent as well. You might pull the fan out and see if you can spray a bit of WD-40 into the center (if there's any gap for you to do so). It sounds to me like your fan's bearings are going bad.

If you can't fix it tho, $5 really shouldn't be all that hard to come up with. Do an odd job for someone - nearly anything should be worth at least $5. Heck, back in the early 90's I was earning $20 a pop to mow lawns.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
3 years ago#6
Sweet^^
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
3 years ago#7
KillerTruffle posted...
Except heat won't vent as well. You might pull the fan out and see if you can spray a bit of WD-40 into the center (if there's any gap for you to do so). It sounds to me like your fan's bearings are going bad.

If you can't fix it tho, $5 really shouldn't be all that hard to come up with. Do an odd job for someone - nearly anything should be worth at least $5. Heck, back in the early 90's I was earning $20 a pop to mow lawns.

I have a front fan and a back and bottom fan. All of my temps seem to be hovering around what they usually do.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My top fan is making this disturbing vibrating/grinding noise

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived