This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kickstart the River City Ransom sequel.

#1wdfosterPosted 9/17/2013 9:01:10 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

I honestly don't know how this hasn't been funded yet. Maybe its the growing demographic of gamers who never played an NES game?

Anyway. Throw money at this.
---
Steam ID - Madmartigan
#2ElDudorinoPosted 9/17/2013 9:12:51 AM
Um, you mean Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World?
#3sonicteam2k1Posted 9/17/2013 9:15:12 AM
ElDudorino posted...
Um, you mean Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World?

do not speak of that garbage ripoff. Game was horrible and nowhere near RCR
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#4wdfoster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:24:06 AM
I bought SPvW day one and as the user above mentioned, it did not measure up. It was more grind, less fun.
---
Steam ID - Madmartigan
#5wdfoster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:25:06 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6ElDudorinoPosted 9/17/2013 9:32:40 AM(edited)
Really? Because I think the Scott Pilgrim game is better than River City Ransom in virtually every way. River City Ransom wasn't even that good. There's one type of enemy with a couple of AI variations, and the game is equally grindy to Scott Pilgrim. I mean, you fight the same enemies over and over to get enough money to buy the Stone Hands book and Acro Circus or whatever it was called or get stat upgrades- I'm not sure how that would be any different from the Scott Pilgrim game except in the latter you have multiple types of enemy to fight. Plus the Scott Pilgrim game has more attacks and other types of gameplay variety, boss battles, etc. I actually really liked the Scott Pilgrim game and I thought of it as RCR done right.

I always thought River City Ransom was inferior to games like Double Dragon in most respects except for the obvious: the 'RPG' elements. This sequel might be fun but I wouldn't necessarily bank on it.
#7Pako PakoPosted 9/17/2013 10:23:46 AM(edited)
ElDudorino posted...
Really? Because I think the Scott Pilgrim game is better than River City Ransom in virtually every way. River City Ransom ... is equally grindy to Scott Pilgrim.

I somewhat agree. SPvtW was a very modern take on RCR, but neither is really grind-y unless you want them to be. (Not totally positive of SPvtW as I've only played the first four stages.)

A lot of special techniques or stat bonuses aren't required if you use hit-and-run tactics in both games. RCR gives you a big equalizer with heavy weapons like steel pipes and garbage cans that you can throw, doing big damage even at the lowest levels. Both games even have that awkward basic move that's highly effective that functions akin to Double Dragon II's flying knee-lift (the big jump kick in RCR).

I have high hopes for RCR:UG... but like SPvtW, Castle Crashers, Guardian Heroes HD, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara -- I don't think anyone really likes beat'em ups any more.

Then again, it could be cyclical. 10 years ago, magazines and the internet were totally down on classic Mega Man. Then we get MM9, MM10, and Robot no.9...
---
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"