This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else here miss the days when you have a game disc?

#11arleasPosted 9/17/2013 6:31:14 PM
I don't miss having a disc at all. Usually what happened is that I'd install the game and put the disc in the closet and forget about it... then later when I reinstalled windows or got a new computer, I'd dig the disc out and install it again, except it'd be patch 1.0 and I'd have all those patches to download and install. If I'm lucky they'd have one patch to catch everything up to speed, but often I'd have to install each patch in sequence in order to get up to the latest version.

Basically, Steam removes the need to keep a CD in a safe place, removes the need to keep my CD key in a safe place, and removes the need to hunt down patches when I decide to reinstall. The only thing missing is a fragile piece of plastic with a thin metal coating on it.

Now, having an actual physical manual to read? That's something I miss. Not the disc though.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#12MarikhenPosted 9/17/2013 7:02:37 PM
I stopped missing using discs when I had a 23.7gb hard drive capable of holding all six discs of Wing Commander IV allowing me to play it from start to finish without ever needing another disc in the drive.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#13SavageDonzillaPosted 9/17/2013 7:04:11 PM
I don't miss discs. I wouldn't have the library I have if I was still buying discs.
---
I486SX 33MHz |256MB RAM | IBM EGA 64kb | Dell M990 19" CRT | IBM 200watt PSU
#14VanderZooPosted 9/17/2013 7:04:56 PM
Not for PC, but I definitely still like them for consoles. I just bought GTA V yesterday, and there's just something special about owning the disc and case, the new game smell, that special feeling you get opening it for the first time... There's too much minutia for me to ever abandon discs.

Also there's just no point owning discs for PC, you can't do anything with them. At least with console discs you can lend them, trade them, sell them etc.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#15R i c kPosted 9/17/2013 7:08:07 PM
How do you not feel like you own it? You open Steam and there's a list of all the crap you own. Not a difficult concept unless digital mediums confuse and anger you. I have a disc, the game is on it. The only difference is that it's a hard disc instead of an optical one. Digital distribution is way better.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#16spookyxelectricPosted 9/17/2013 7:17:32 PM
Benefit of digital games: awesome sales on Steam, GOG and GMG. Benefit of physical copies: less downloading, so less waiting to play your games.
#17SinisterSlayPosted 9/17/2013 7:23:02 PM(edited)
I have a bunch of games on disk that don't work anymore, others that don't work because of online activation.

So far, my steam games have actually outlived some of my disk games. So no I don't miss it, I actually get annoyed when I have to use a disk.

Just last night I tried to get NFS Most wanted working, for some reason it won't launch, the splash appears then disappears. Ok, so I open the autorun on the disk, and it says "install" instead of play. Alright, maybe the registry went wonky, I'll reinstall.

...Enter your key...
Ok, find the stupid manual, find the key and enter it...

...Installing directX... WTF I already have directX, a much newer version than what came on the disc.

Now it wont let the install continue until I restart my computer.

Ok, restart...
Enter your key again... ARG.....
Installing... please restart, wtf? What did it do?
Ok, restart again....

Enter your key..... son of a .....

Ok, installing, swap out 5 disks to get it to install

Still doesn't launch.

Try to google it, can't find anything because now google is saturated with problems from the new version of most wanted.

**** it!

For digital, all I have to do is verify it, which takes seconds.... And when I'm done it still wouldn't work at least I haven't wasted two hours swapping disks, restarting, and entering CD keys.

I'm guessing its video drivers or resolution or something.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18MarikhenPosted 9/17/2013 9:38:07 PM
R i c k posted...
How do you not feel like you own it? You open Steam and there's a list of all the crap you own. Not a difficult concept unless digital mediums confuse and anger you. I have a disc, the game is on it. The only difference is that it's a hard disc instead of an optical one. Digital distribution is way better.

Probably has something to do with all those legal agreements whereby you "agree" that the copyright holder has all rights regarding the game and you have none including the right to sue them if their game, regardless of whether it's a console or PC game, sets your system on fire before killing, and eating, your dog.

At least with a physical disc, box, and manual you get the sense that you own something. With digitally distributed PC games you own your hard drive, but it's just not as "special" to many people as something they can actually look at and show off to their friends without first having to deal with a bunch of screws, a panel or two, and an attack of the killer dust bunnies.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#19OmegaDL50Posted 9/17/2013 9:42:38 PM
With either the license to own the game being on a physical disc or a digital download. A license is still a license.

Not even physical copies these days are free from legal nonsense with terms saying you only own a license to use the product but not the actual data on the disc.

How the times have changed.
---
Intel i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 | MSI TF3 HD7950 | PS2 | Xbox | PS3 | Wii U | PSP | DS
Gaming is about fun, not company loyalty or close minded platform worship
#20RavenoussdPosted 9/17/2013 9:43:55 PM
yeah sometimes.......miss actually having a book to look at while installing

then i think about the clutter *shudders*
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult