This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Square release FF8 and 9 on Steam?

#11d209999Posted 9/17/2013 8:46:53 PM
VanderZoo posted...
I know I've played FF8 on PC as well. But one like FF7 would be more convenient, no discs, more resolutions supported, better controller support. And I know FF9 hasn't been confirmed, but there just appears to be a trend. FF7 was re-released, FF8 is, it's logical to assume FF9 as well down the road, hopefully.

It's not logical at all. You're grasping at straws.
---
*under construction*
#12SteamsterPosted 9/17/2013 8:55:26 PM
d209999 posted...
VanderZoo posted...
I know I've played FF8 on PC as well. But one like FF7 would be more convenient, no discs, more resolutions supported, better controller support. And I know FF9 hasn't been confirmed, but there just appears to be a trend. FF7 was re-released, FF8 is, it's logical to assume FF9 as well down the road, hopefully.

How is not logical at all? Because it would take some amount actual effort to port from PSX to PC instead of copy+pasting? That's gotta be a joke. SE could easily find this worth doing if VII and VIII remakes sell well enough.

Anything aside from an "I don't know" is a complete guess, in my opinion, regardless of how well you think you can back that simple guess up.
#13GoldninjaPosted 9/17/2013 9:00:17 PM(edited)
It used to be logical that we'd see a 3D remake of FFV and VI. Still hasn't happened and I'm not sure it ever will.

My point is, don't expect anything either way.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#14urtvPosted 9/17/2013 9:13:50 PM
i rather see a parasite eve remake.aya in 3d makes me hard
#15OmegaDL50Posted 9/17/2013 9:16:05 PM(edited)
Steamster posted...
d209999 posted...
VanderZoo posted...

How is not logical at all? Because it would take some amount actual effort to port from PSX to PC instead of copy+pasting? That's gotta be a joke. SE could easily find this worth doing if VII and VIII remakes sell well enough.

Anything aside from an "I don't know" is a complete guess, in my opinion, regardless of how well you think you can back that simple guess up.

Because the FF7 Digital release wasn't a remake. As I said before the contents of the FF7 digital PC release on Steam and other online distributors uses the same binaries and folder structure of the 1998 PC CD-Rom release. Outside of a new wrapper that allowed for Achievements, Cloud Saves, Cheats, and higher resolutions.

Meaning, the FF8 digital release is likely to also use the same files from the PC CD-ROM version of FF8.

There is no FF9 PC CD-Rom version for them to port from for DotEmu make a digital re-release. Square-Enix would have the code a PC release from the ground up, unlike the already existing FF7 and upcoming FF8 digital releases which have existing PC version assets to borrow from.
---
Intel i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 | MSI TF3 HD7950 | PS2 | Xbox | PS3 | Wii U | PSP | DS
Gaming is about fun, not company loyalty or close minded platform worship
#16GalaxyNexusPosted 9/17/2013 10:08:54 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Steamster posted...
d209999 posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Because the FF7 Digital release wasn't a remake. As I said before the contents of the FF7 digital PC release on Steam and other online distributors uses the same binaries and folder structure of the 1998 PC CD-Rom release. Outside of a new wrapper that allowed for Achievements, Cloud Saves, Cheats, and higher resolutions.

Meaning, the FF8 digital release is likely to also use the same files from the PC CD-ROM version of FF8.

There is no FF9 PC CD-Rom version for them to port from for DotEmu make a digital re-release. Square-Enix would have the code a PC release from the ground up, unlike the already existing FF7 and upcoming FF8 digital releases which have existing PC version assets to borrow from.

And why wouldn't they be able to do that? Is it a 30GB game? It couldn't be that hard or time consuming
#17VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:14:14 PM
d209999 posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Well, 9 comes after 8. They just ported 7, they're doing 8... Mathematically and logically it seems sound to me lol.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#18ZeraphLordSPosted 9/17/2013 10:18:50 PM
VanderZoo posted...
d209999 posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Well, 9 comes after 8. They just ported 7, they're doing 8... Mathematically and logically it seems sound to me lol.

FF 7 and 8 were ported over a decade ago. Hopefully is certainly the word.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#19d209999Posted 9/17/2013 10:38:43 PM
GalaxyNexus posted...
And why wouldn't they be able to do that? Is it a 30GB game? It couldn't be that hard or time consuming

They could at any time. But if they don't think it will be profitable enough to warrant the time and effort, it won't happen.
---
*under construction*
#20VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:44:25 PM
d209999 posted...
GalaxyNexus posted...

They could at any time. But if they don't think it will be profitable enough to warrant the time and effort, it won't happen.

Well hopefully 7 and 8 sell well, FF9 is awesome.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"