This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Square release FF8 and 9 on Steam?

#31MarceloSampaioPosted 9/18/2013 6:38:02 AM
Golden_Gonads posted...
Slayn posted...
Golden_Gonads posted...
<
Except that mathematically and logically, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all come before 7, and none of those have been re-released for PC.

They aren't 3d, and also have been released on portable devices, over and over.

Exactly! They have the source-code for those games! They've re-made or re-compiled each game for different systems, and so it should be relatively straight-forward to release for PC, but they never have.

BTW, a version od FF5 for PC was almost completed, but Square cancelled it because of technical issues that would make the port a little more expensive than Square anticipated. It was being ported by a company called Top Dog.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#32VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 6:09:30 PM(edited)
Golden_Gonads posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Well, 9 comes after 8. They just ported 7, they're doing 8... Mathematically and logically it seems sound to me lol.

Except that mathematically and logically, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all come before 7, and none of those have been re-released for PC.

Yes but I think it's clear Square is focusing on one generation (gen 5, PS1 era) of these FF games. So if they start with 7, it makes sense that 8 and 9 come next, but not necessarily 10.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#33xanthan1Posted 9/18/2013 6:27:02 PM
VanderZoo posted...
Golden_Gonads posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Well, 9 comes after 8. They just ported 7, they're doing 8... Mathematically and logically it seems sound to me lol.

Yes but I think it's clear Square is focusing on one generation (gen 5, PS1 era) of these FF games. So if they start with 7, it makes sense that 8 and 9 come next, but not necessarily 10.

Except not, they are focusing on updating the games they already released on PC. Saying 9 comes next only makes sense if you ignore that 7 and 8 were already on PC and is why they're getting a rerelease at all.
#34rpgianPosted 9/18/2013 6:32:35 PM
Emu is the better experience but if you want to play 9 online properly you should buy the strategy guide and use that play online site. That game/experiment was so wtf its worth playing as a study into just how bad things can really get. Not sure if its still up after all of these years but any fan of IX has to check out the guide one day.
#35VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 2:36:25 AM
xanthan1 posted...
VanderZoo posted...
Golden_Gonads posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Except not, they are focusing on updating the games they already released on PC. Saying 9 comes next only makes sense if you ignore that 7 and 8 were already on PC and is why they're getting a rerelease at all.

OK, calm down lol, I made that statement before I knew 9 was never released on PC. But again, logically it'd be natural to assume if they're re-releasing 7 and 8, there's a chance 9 can be as well. That's all I was saying, you guys needs to chill out.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#36GwendalPosted 9/19/2013 5:05:13 AM
rpgian posted...
Emu is the better experience but if you want to play 9 online properly you should buy the strategy guide and use that play online site. That game/experiment was so wtf its worth playing as a study into just how bad things can really get. Not sure if its still up after all of these years but any fan of IX has to check out the guide one day.

The original site is down, but I'm pretty sure someone made a backup you should be able to find with a little digging.
---
Currently playing:
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS), Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC), Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
#37__starsnostarsPosted 9/19/2013 5:11:41 AM
So if they start with 7, it makes sense that 8 and 9 come next, but not necessarily 10.

You're not making any sense. If they release 7, 8, and 9, logically it would make sense that they would release 10 afterwards.
#38Golden_GonadsPosted 9/19/2013 4:33:15 PM
__starsnostars posted...
So if they start with 7, it makes sense that 8 and 9 come next, but not necessarily 10.

You're not making any sense. If they release 7, 8, and 9, logically it would make sense that they would release 10 afterwards.

Different system. 7, 8 and 9 were PS1. 10 and 12 were PS2, so the logic more-or-less holds up.