This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you play open world games like GTA with M/KB?

#1CyunPosted 9/18/2013 10:03:10 AM
While a M/KB can do everything just as well, if not better, than a 360 controller for these types of games, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, etc. Driving around, movement, hand to hand combat, etc seem preferable with a gamepad than with a M/KB, but of course things like shooting are infinity better with a mouse, and when put into a multiplayer environment M/KB would probably have to be used.

I'm playing through GTAIV right now with a M/KB and while it's not hindering my play, in fact when shooting is involved it's definitely better, but driving with WASD and other actions just feels weird and not as fun to me, regardless if I drive or perform those other actions just as well with a M/KB.
---
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/KargTheVile/4or46f6.gif
#2Lemur_HPosted 9/18/2013 10:07:19 AM
Yes, I do. Controllers tend to cramp my hands after awhile. Doesn't feel good. :(

As long as the game's driving isn't garbage to begin with, I can drive just fine with WASD.
#3MarceloSampaioPosted 9/18/2013 10:10:18 AM
I play every PC game with KB+M. Hell, even when I emulate console games, I use KB+M.

I play ANY kind of game better with KB+M than a controller. Racing, fighting, pure action games, etc.

I tried playing a racing game with a controller on my PS2, but it feels very imprecise.I felt like a drink driver...
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#4AcquirePosted 9/18/2013 10:17:12 AM
Depends on the type of game. If it's strictly a shooter type then yes. Otherwise, usually for third person shooters where shooting accuracy is not really needed I play better with a controller especially if vehicles are and climbing/platforming etc are needed.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#5TheMisfitPosted 9/18/2013 10:30:05 AM
I play all the earlier GTA games with a KB/M (3, VC, SA). Can't say I prefer it that way, it's pretty awkward...I just can't seem to configure my analog sticks to the proper layout on those games.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#6Cyun(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 10:34:06 AM
TheMisfit posted...
I play all the earlier GTA games with a KB/M (3, VC, SA). Can't say I prefer it that way, it's pretty awkward...I just can't seem to configure my analog sticks to the proper layout on those games.

That's how I feel. While I have no issue doing what I want to do and M/KB controls just as well, if not better than a gamepad, it still feels awkward.
---
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/KargTheVile/4or46f6.gif
#7mrCubePosted 9/18/2013 11:23:21 AM
For a lot of 3rd person action games, I play using a controller. The two most recent being Sleeping Dogs and Arkham City. I found the fighting in those games to be much better with a controller. I use a mouse and keyboard for just about everything else though.
---
---
#8jake-sfPosted 9/18/2013 12:04:50 PM
Only if the game is designed with it in mind. When is it?

I can't say I know anything about any GTA games since Vice City, but Vice City was enough for PC controls. But you take Sleeping Dogs or Arkham City, no, those are not designed with it in mind. And thus I have no intention of using mouse & keyboard for them.

Its really not a matter of "can't", just that a mouse & keyboard requires considerations that are completely different to a controller and without them, its just annoying to play that way.

Its unfortunate, really. I prefer mouse & keyboard for anything that can logically be better, but whats the point when the games are so lazily designed exclusively around controllers? I mean, you've been playing 3rd person games from console all over. Go play one modern MMO entirely for PC and it blows your mind how intuitive it becomes to play a proper mouse & keyboard 3rd person game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/