This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why exactly do rockstar delay the PC release of GTA's?

#11kbe2k2Posted 9/18/2013 12:16:27 PM
uncle_Descartes posted...
Not even gonna get into details since that is pushing the ToS, but: we all know on PC it is both easy and effortless. On console it is pretty easy too but requires effort, such as actually going to the computer to download some hack tool or buying DVD-RWs. Console users are unlikely to feel confident or safe doing these things, when they can just pay and "it just works".

Behind the times, hard drives can be hooked up to consoles and everything that needs to be done to enhance the console can be automated or if they didn't really feel confident they could simple pay someone a small fee to do it for them, there's ads for that everywhere at least where I live.

Not saying console piracy is worse than PC but it's really not any harder.
#12uncle_DescartesPosted 9/18/2013 12:19:00 PM
However console piracy is 100% intended to be theft. I know most of my friends that download a game illegally for pc, do so to test it on their hardware and then go on to buy or not buy it. I myself have done this. Ever since having my own income, I have never beat a game I downloaded illegally. Rarely even beat the first stage as that's all you need to see to gather its performance and quality. Demo's generally aren't a good enough litmus test due to older code. That's on the rare occasion there is a demo.

Anecdotal information works fine for you. But don't expect people to make assumptions about pirates or consumers based on your personal experience. I can say I know a lot of console users that only pirate to try, or a lot of PC gamers who pirate everything just because they can, but what I say doesn't hold weight as I'm just one man.

I actually recommend you check out EA's shareholders information where they point out that PC makes them just as much money as any of the other consoles and that its been increasing its percentage every year as of the last few years.

This?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/25/ea-reports-strong-digital-sales-still-has-pc-earnings/

A bit worrying actually. Their first chart is counting browser games as "PC", and the second indicates that most of their revenue comes from things other than actually selling games. And keep in mind revenue != profit, and these reports are Non-GAAP and can be considered questionable. Overall it seems like they are focusing on things that can't be pirated, and getting most of their money from that which seems to support my point actually. You kinda compared apples to oranges here.

And Praetor, I'm not seeing how your comment is relevant at all. Was this alleged game even multiplatform?
#13youngfossilPosted 9/18/2013 12:19:16 PM
Guess I'll just post this again.

Rockstar is, like several publishers throughout the years, releasing the PC version several months (possibly years) behind the PC release, because given the option of buying for console on release vs. pirating for PC on release many gamers will choose the latter. By delaying the game they force any would-be pirates to make a tradeoff - "sure, you can get it for free easily on PC, but it'll be after everyone's discussed the game to death and the buzz is gone". I suspect there is a very large number of potential GTA5 pirates swayed via this tactic.

But you can pirate on consoles too!

Not even gonna get into details since that is pushing the ToS, but: we all know on PC it is both easy and effortless. On console it is pretty easy too but requires effort, such as actually going to the computer to download some hack tool or buying DVD-RWs. Console users are unlikely to feel confident or safe doing these things, when they can just pay and "it just works".

There is quite a bit of solid evidence backing up this notion, so if you disagree, I invite you to provide your own evidence in contrast:

http://www.mit.edu/~ke23793/papers/Drahchenetal_paperID16.pdf - Good paper, and the cited TorrentFreak study at the beginning implies console piracy is about 1/4th as prevalent as PC piracy.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_5.html - Kinda outdated, but several quotes from industry leaders are shown here.

But piracy is more than just downloading and playing, How many people download a game and never play it? How man can't play it? How many demo and buy it? How man download it because it's not sold in their country? One thing for sure all the console pirates can indeed run the game efficiently
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#14uncle_DescartesPosted 9/18/2013 12:24:33 PM
kbe: pretty sure I said that console piracy is easy too, just requires more effort. You just agreed with me.

youngfossil: I'm curious about your speculations. What would you say is a good breakdown out of all the downloaders, the percentage that:

- are legitimately unable to buy the game (as in, due to regional issues, not just "i r poor but at least I have enough money for this computer ;'(" )
- are demoing it and plan to buy it IF AND ONLY IF their pirated copy is fun enough to them
- are just downloading it for the hell of it and never going to even play the game

etc... vs. the "real" pirates.
#15Gojak_v3Posted 9/18/2013 12:31:56 PM
The pirating PC games as a demo is a huge excuse imo. It's basically a copout to say see we aren't pirating to steal, we are pirating to test. I don't believe it for a minute and I think people in this thread are assuming it happens this way more than it really does.
#16kbe2k2Posted 9/18/2013 12:33:00 PM(edited)
kbe: pretty sure I said that console piracy is easy too, just requires more effort. You just agreed with me.

Everything you mentioned doesn't really apply anymore so there's really no more effort, sure you have to do a one time enhancement to a console which can be automated or get someone to do it, you also have to do stuff to *nearly every game you steal on PC thanks to DRM.
#17DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/18/2013 12:32:38 PM
I'm curious about your speculations. What would you say is a good breakdown out of all the downloaders, the percentage that:

- are legitimately unable to buy the game (as in, due to regional issues, not just "i r poor but at least I have enough money for this computer ;'(" )
- are demoing it and plan to buy it IF AND ONLY IF their pirated copy is fun enough to them
- are just downloading it for the hell of it and never going to even play the game

etc... vs. the "real" pirates.

No one can really answer that with any proof. Only thing we can say is that console pirates have no reasons other than blatant theft.

In my circle of friends, its 100% non theft. I'm not foolish enough to think that is the norm though. Piracy is an issue but its not something that is solvable. People have pirated humble bundles that go for 1 penny. There is little logic in that.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#18uncle_DescartesPosted 9/18/2013 12:34:44 PM
sure you have to do a one time enhancement to a console which can be automated or get someone to do it

That's called effort son. Either you spend time doing this enhancement or you pay someone to do it for you, either way it's definitely more than clicking a torrent and performing a few file swaps at most.
#19DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/18/2013 12:40:24 PM
either way it's definitely more than clicking a torrent and performing a few file swaps at most.

Hardly... jtagging is incredibly easy. PC users also have to sift through many fake torrents or deal with many issues on a game by game basis. There is so much less effort in console piracy now. Just download and burn. No cracks, no swaps, no performance worries, no virus worries...

Still I'm not arguing to the contrary. PC has more pirates. It is easier in the physical sense as you don't need to do any burning or hookups. More effort though? Not so sure.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#20kbe2k2Posted 9/18/2013 12:45:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]