This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long did it take you to assemble your very first PC?

#41BowsaaPosted 9/18/2013 4:52:14 PM
Most of the day, like a solid 10 hours. I had to do a lot of screwing around with the HDD and getting stuff ready to install Win8 on it (because I wasn't using a disk drive), had some issues with installing from a flash drive, and I really took my time and tried to do a decent job of cable management. There was also some time where I had to drive to the next town over and back to get my brother and his friend, which took a while.

Realistically it'd be like 2 hours or so, if I had a new/clean HDD and a disk drive, maybe 2.5 if I had to rip the Windows ISO and get the flash drive ready to boot, although that could be done while I put the rest of the parts together.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#42cody4783Posted 9/18/2013 6:11:15 PM
Wanna say it was about 3-4 hours. Was like...12-13 at the time, and it was one of my parent's computers.

A good chunk the time was constantly re-referencing manuals/wiring diagrams because the case they were using had all the F-Panel connectors as individual wires (Everything from USB to audio).
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#43BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 9/18/2013 8:47:50 PM
My first build took me about 40 minutes with only decent cable management. A few weeks later, I went and reworked it which took about another 30 minutes.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#44AcquirePosted 9/18/2013 9:23:13 PM
Like 5 hours mostly because nothing ever actually just fits together. Almost feels like I'm going to destroy something trying to get it properly placed whenever I've had to do any PC hardware install.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#45the_cajun88Posted 9/18/2013 9:25:19 PM
About 3 days because the parts didn't all come at the same time.
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg
#46Flaktrooper123Posted 9/18/2013 9:40:00 PM
Just did a few days ago. 5 hours
#47OmegaDL50Posted 9/18/2013 10:07:51 PM
About 1 hour to install parts into the tower (Standoffs then the I/O MB plate, motherboard)
Insert CPU into MB socket, apply thermal paste on CPU, install CPU fan, install RAM, plug in 20/24 pin MB power connector from PSU, plug in CPU and Case fans. Plug in AC power into in PSU, Plug in DVI / HDMI into Monitor, plug in Keyboard into USB then power system on. (If Mobo doesn't have integrated video, I usually install the GPU during this time in prep for the next step)

Spend another 10 to 15 minutes to test if Mobo, CPU, ram is working (See if I get bios on screen), power down system. remove AC power from wall, Press power button to discharge any existing current.

Spend another 20 minutes to Install HDD, insert SATA cables into the Mobo, replug AC power back in, power on (see if HDD is detected in Bios), power down, remove AC, press power to discharge.

Now that the minimal core components that are confirmed working.

I spend another hour installing the GPU (if not done during the initial step), Optical Drive, Media Card Reader, Sound Card (if I'm not using integrated audio), Case fans, and doing cable management, making sure there is no loose cables and everything is optimally placed.

Close up the case, power it on, go into bios, configure master and secondary boot devices, disable IGP, set the XMS Ram profile, quit and save. If everything checks okay during reboot, begin OS installation. All of this takes about an hour or two.

Once OS desktop loads, configure NIC / Wifi establish network connection, check for any OS updates. plug in USB flash drive that consists of drivers and essential software downloaded in advance and install whatever necessary programs (Steam, Firefox, Avast, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, etc)

All in all to get the computer from individual parts to running to my optimal preference, about 5 to 6 hours.

As for the TC, my very first PC was a pre-build, but subsequent upgrades over the years (HDD, Ram, GPU, new PSU, etc), and tons, and tons of reading and research. I pretty much knew what to do for my first true self-build.
---
Intel i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 | MSI TF3 HD7950 | PS2 | Xbox | PS3 | Wii U | PSP | DS
Gaming is about fun, not company loyalty or close minded platform worship
#48josh_bPosted 9/18/2013 10:21:01 PM
well I sat the parts out and had it all together in about 40 minutes..... that was like in 95 or so. my latest build took about the same time. I laid all the parts out according to what went first and went and ate dinner with my wife and soon I came home I had all the parts in and ready to go. I was up and playing borderlands 2 within 2 hours of starting the building process.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#49_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/19/2013 5:33:10 AM
I took me an entire day. I was 12 though, and not all parts were new. Also, there was no internet to help me.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#50RoutineInsanityPosted 9/19/2013 6:02:21 AM
entire process? about 6 weeks, but most of that was waiting for the parts to come in. not really sure how much time it took to put everything together, i installed all the mechanical stuff as i got it (though i kinda wish i would have waited to put the graphics card in last, made it really difficut to connect my SSD and HHD) but getting all the software installed took about 45 mins. would have been a lil quicker, but my motherboard bios kept freezing