This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long did it take you to assemble your very first PC?

#51vh2vandalierPosted 9/19/2013 7:38:31 AM
Delta_F14 posted...
About 8 hours, including downloading and installing the OS.

This, give or take. I was very meticulous because of the horror stories I'd heard about static electricity, improper cpu placement/forcing, thermal paste, etc.

My second one took me about 45 minutes, before OS install. Like playing with Legos.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDoGqZUHVEI
#52chase1234lifePosted 9/19/2013 8:04:28 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I took me an entire day. I was 12 though, and not all parts were new. Also, there was no internet to help me.

*Thumps up*

I built my first computer in 1993 [no joke]. I was 5 years old, and my father worked at a computer repair shop. He brought me along for some of his house calls and was teaching me about computers when he did. Everything from DOS, Windows 3.1, to Apple, to even Amigas. So my birthday was in December.

Oddly enough, my birthday was on the 10th of December 1993.
(Special note: DOOM [the original] was released on that date)

So, he bought me a whole computer... in pieces... (I'm sure he got great discounts working at the shop). He made me a deal; If I could build my own computer, he would "buy" me a copy (copy was literal, due to it being released online at the time, and you had to save it on multiple floppies and just buy a license) of DOOM (he had already had it, and I had played the alpha versions, but he downloaded the full game and would buy me a license).

God Damnit, that was the most tempting thing you could ever do to a 5 year old at the time. So, it took me a whole weekend, but I did it. He did assist me with a few things [mostly just securing screws], but I built it on my own, and got a copy of DOOM to boot.

Best Birthday EVAR.

That being said, that was my literal first build, and I have no clue what all the components were. (that was in 1993!), but I know I had a Case, a MoBo, a Processor, a Sound Blaster card, RAM, a couple fans, PSU, and I believe a Video Card as well, but I'm not certain on that. It was MS-DOS, though I upgraded (through his purchase) to Windows 3.1 after a few months.

My first real build was probably 3 years after that [I was still helping out with his work], and it took me about 2 hours.

I've done hundreds of builds since then, and it takes me about 1-2 hours to get everything set up hardware wise, depending on components/case. If I really want to make a system look good, I may add in an extra hour of extensive cable management. Not that I don't do cable management in the first place, but I usually do that using zip ties and occasionally some tape; if I want to do more extensive management, I use fewer zip ties, velcro, and try to do a few other cool things regarding lighting.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#53Ch3wyPosted 9/19/2013 8:08:30 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Ch3wy posted...
That's weird how everyone's time is longer when they're not trying to convince someone to avoid prebuilts.

I don't think anyone says the first time is fast, they just say "Spend the time to learn how to do it right the first time." Even then, how much is your time worth to be worth a $1-300 premium?

My first build took me about 8 hours from start to finish though all my parts didn't arrive at once, 4-5 would probably be a better estimate of total time spent. Installing the heatsink later took me about an hour and a half, I had to completely take it apart and put it back together, shy of mounting my drives.

About $50-60/hr for off hours for me.

So I would have to be able to build it and set it up in a couple hours for it to be worth it.

I've seen a few topics here where people said it only takes a couple hours so you shouldn't buy pre-built. But judging by this topic that average is way off.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#54chase1234lifePosted 9/19/2013 8:49:43 AM
Ch3wy posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
Ch3wy posted...
That's weird how everyone's time is longer when they're not trying to convince someone to avoid prebuilts.

I don't think anyone says the first time is fast, they just say "Spend the time to learn how to do it right the first time." Even then, how much is your time worth to be worth a $1-300 premium?

My first build took me about 8 hours from start to finish though all my parts didn't arrive at once, 4-5 would probably be a better estimate of total time spent. Installing the heatsink later took me about an hour and a half, I had to completely take it apart and put it back together, shy of mounting my drives.

About $50-60/hr for off hours for me.

So I would have to be able to build it and set it up in a couple hours for it to be worth it.

I've seen a few topics here where people said it only takes a couple hours so you shouldn't buy pre-built. But judging by this topic that average is way off.

Yes, but they're talking about their first build.

I think for a gamer, building your own is the best bet, but I have absolutely nothing against Pre-Builts like some people do. I think it's more important to know your components when building a computer, rather than the actual building/running of it. If you build your own rig, you're forced to learn a lot more about what it takes to make a computer run, what is compatible, what technologies are being constantly updated, pricing, and other such things. I don't think it's really that important when it comes to physically building it; I just think that if you're going to spend money on a rig reliant upon current technology, that you should be willing to research those technologies, which you're unlikely to do if you buy a pre-built.

And if you're not using the computer for gaming, (heavy) video production, or audio production in some cases, then Pre-Built is the way to go. I would never suggest building your own computer if all you're using it for is internet, home movies, music storage, maybe Nextflix, etc. that an average computer user does. It's not worth the hassle in that case.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life