This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Linux the future of gaming?

#21TimePharaohPosted 9/18/2013 9:05:38 PM
steveboblarry posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
LMAO. No. Linux us HORRIBLE. Linux has problems running things that are supported for it let alone anything else.

Fade...did you take your meds before posting?

He's just being ignorant like all of his posts, it's nothing new.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#22ThunderPotatoPosted 9/18/2013 9:11:52 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
I hope it does because then derps like you will be left out in the cold

Linux is pretty easy to use. Obviously not Windows or Mac dumbed down easy, but it still isn't challenging at all.
---
Graphics matter until PC is brought up.
#23claytonbuckleyPosted 9/18/2013 9:20:34 PM
IMO

No it's not. the biggest advantage to a gaming PC is that it's a PC, so it can be used for more than just gaming. When the day comes that more stuff can be done on Linux, that's when more people will have Linux installed instead of a Windows OS. Then we'll see the switch. I just don't see that happening though.
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#24rpgianPosted 9/18/2013 9:22:01 PM
Its a chance for them to be if micro keeps steam rolling in this direction. I wouldn't be suprised if google started getting in these sorts of thing in a large way themselves or by bankroll with the future of ads/marketing getting bleaker.

A million things can happen but my moneys not with apple. A lot of it rests with Europe since thats the economy thats going to matter in a first world sense.
#25nameless0101Posted 9/19/2013 3:36:09 AM
I would actually prefer to use Linux over Windows for general use, the only thing that stops me is that hardly any games are supported.

I'm all for Linux becoming the main platform for Steam and look forward to it happening (if it ever does.)
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#26Erik212Posted 9/19/2013 4:16:12 AM
I think Gabe is just being strangely ignorant again, just like with his whole PS3 flip flop. He's still a bit butthurt about the whole app market for Win8.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#27godplaysSNESPosted 9/19/2013 4:55:44 AM
Nope. And even if all studios suddenly were to use OpenGL to target Linux as well, that still means all current games using DirectX wouldn't work on Linux

What Valve hates with Windows 8 is that they see the Windows Store as a threat. It's kinda ironic about Valve promoting open platforms when Steam is all about locking you in.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#28ElementalWindPosted 9/19/2013 5:31:27 AM
Obviously not Windows or Mac dumbed down easy, but it still isn't challenging at all.
I'm not convinced Windows's dumbing down even manages to make it easier to use.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#29arleasPosted 9/19/2013 5:43:39 AM
What Valve hates with Windows 8 is that they see the Windows Store as a threat.

I'm pretty sure that he sees it as a threat because it's the first step towards the Apple Store style walled garden. If there's a reason why Windows 8 is a disaster it's because it's a move to push Steam out of the market, not because he doesn't actually like the OS for whatever reason.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#30SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 7:40:52 AM
arleas posted...
What Valve hates with Windows 8 is that they see the Windows Store as a threat.

I'm pretty sure that he sees it as a threat because it's the first step towards the Apple Store style walled garden. If there's a reason why Windows 8 is a disaster it's because it's a move to push Steam out of the market, not because he doesn't actually like the OS for whatever reason.

He should feel better now that it basically failed. No one on a desktop cares about metro apps.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence