This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to build from scratch for gaming, need help.

#1HeroshiX2Posted 9/18/2013 5:11:00 PM
So I finally have enough leeway and spare cash to build a decent gaming computer. Before I begin, let me list off some examples of games I'd love to play on higher settings, if not Max.

- World of Warcraft (I know it doesn't take a super computer, but believe you me I need a new processor to do any kind of high player count content nowadays)

- Guild Wars 2 (More or less meaning WvWvW in the "What upgrade would let me play this" department)

- Planet Side 2

- Other future MMO's, I'm just looking to be safe for a good few years so I don't have to upgrade any time soon

- Single player games, just for comparison considering I rarely play any outside of rpgs, modded skyrim, bioshock, crysis 2 (I don't know what kind of computer 3 requires, if anything special) all that kind of junk. I'd love a computer that could max those if not nearly max it.

---

NOW, for my computer, I already have a couple parts which I would much rather not upgrade just yet as I've bought them over the past couple months to give this one I'm using a bit more oomph. But I'm still open for suggestions regardless if it could fit my budget.

I'll go ahead and list those as well as what I still need and want advice on.

I'm looking to spend about $600 or so for the stuff still need, I'm having to pay $90 or so extra to a friend to build it for me as my hands and mind aren't the most stable for the time being until I'm off of chemotherapy, otherwise I'd put it together myself but I just don't want to risk breaking something.

I'd also like to mention if anything I'm looking for a really really nice Mobo and CPU to allow me to upgrade my GPU in the future if need be, without bottleneck, as for the time being, the GPU is the least of my worries with what I'd love to play.
---

Here are the parts I'd prefer to bring over to my new computer.

Seasonic 520w - PSU (PLEASE let me know if any of the parts I need would need something stronger, I don't want to kill a brand new computer. But I chose this a couple months back wanting to prepare for an upgrade.)

GTX 650 Ti - GPU

Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB) - Harddive (I'd prefer not to upgrade this just yet but I will in the future be going to 1TB and an SSD at some point.)

Also, question, what I'm using is prebuilt from like, 5-6 years ago and if I'm correct I'll need the Windows 7 CD key in order to transfer it to a new motherboard? How can I go about getting this again? I do have a pirated copy of Windows on another CD but I'd much prefer to keep my data and I'm unsure of how all this works entirely.

---

Now, if I'm also not forgetting anything this leads me to needing these parts to finish a computer

New Case - my current is WAY too small to fit much in it.

New Motherboard - As stated this and a CPU are what I'm worried about the most, I'm at least looking for a good quadcore i5, i7 might be overkill for my desires.

New CPU - Quick question with this as well, I need one to come with a heatsink/fan and if I'm also correct, it'd come with thermal paste to, yknow, actually put it on? Also how can one tell if a CPU purchase comes with a heatsink/fan?

8 gigs of DDR 3 Ram - Unsure of brands for this stuff, if it matters much...

---

In any case, thanks for the help and any advice at all, I'll be bumping if need be or asking further questions, really excited for everything to get here.
#2LootmanPosted 9/18/2013 5:36:10 PM
The A10-6800k's on board GPU can do 60+ fps constantly with almost everything turned up (Shadows on low just to make sure, and water on low... I like the low water > ultra water anyway >_>)

So use that as reference, almost anything can run WoW.
Hell. My 2gb RAM with an intel dual core CPU and onboard GPU can do 15 - 20 fps.
---
\(._.)/ Kanakiri posted...
._.)/ I think you broke Lootman guys
#3HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 8:24:27 PM
Yeah, mentioning WoW likely wasn't the best thing to use for a comparison with what I want but I can't handle 25 man raids anymore.

But bumping for help, still! Sorry for the wall of text, I tried to organize it best I could.
#4JavelinPosted 9/18/2013 8:44:40 PM
HeroshiX2 posted...
I'm having to pay $90 or so extra to a friend to build it for me as my hands and mind aren't the most stable for the time being until I'm off of chemotherapy

With friends like that, who needs enemies, am I right?

If you know what you're doing, it takes like 30 minutes to assemble a computer, max. Basically, you're paying this guy $180 an hour to do something because you're too handicapped to do it yourself.

I bet you could find a stranger willing to do it for free.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#52Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/18/2013 8:59:38 PM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1FmbY if you want to overclock the CPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1FmcM if you don't
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#6Loserman15Posted 9/18/2013 9:29:37 PM
Yeah, I never charge to help a friend build a computer. I like putting it together and seeing their faces when they start using their first quality computer.
#7Flaktrooper123Posted 9/18/2013 9:47:31 PM
You can ramp up the motherboard if you feel like spending more. You may want to check those with built in WiFi for example if you need it.

At least where I live, one of those professionals in the computer shops are willing to put together a computer for you for about Idr 100k (about $9-10) or even less or free if you buy some of the parts from them.
#8HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 10:06:21 PM
Javelin posted...
HeroshiX2 posted...
I'm having to pay $90 or so extra to a friend to build it for me as my hands and mind aren't the most stable for the time being until I'm off of chemotherapy

With friends like that, who needs enemies, am I right?

If you know what you're doing, it takes like 30 minutes to assemble a computer, max. Basically, you're paying this guy $180 an hour to do something because you're too handicapped to do it yourself.

I bet you could find a stranger willing to do it for free.

Honestly he offered to do it for free, I'm the one feeling bad and offering to pay for it, for all I know when the time comes to get my computer back he may flat out deny me from paying him knowing past experiences.

But thanks for the post so far everyone!
#9HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 10:54:20 PM
Ugh adding in another question, with overclocking, for the games I want.. would it really be needed? It sounds tempting but if it's not really entirely needed, it's money saved.

I know MMOs are HEAVILY CPU dependent but if I'd be okay regardless it'd be nice. I don't think my 650 ti can completely max anything anyways and thats okay with me for the time being.
#102Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/19/2013 8:00:47 AM
HeroshiX2 posted...
Ugh adding in another question, with overclocking, for the games I want.. would it really be needed? It sounds tempting but if it's not really entirely needed, it's money saved.

I know MMOs are HEAVILY CPU dependent but if I'd be okay regardless it'd be nice. I don't think my 650 ti can completely max anything anyways and thats okay with me for the time being.

The 4670 will run games fine without overclocking. For gaming the gains are minimal if you don't want to spend more money
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542