This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to build from scratch for gaming, need help.

#11HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 11:22:40 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
HeroshiX2 posted...
Ugh adding in another question, with overclocking, for the games I want.. would it really be needed? It sounds tempting but if it's not really entirely needed, it's money saved.

I know MMOs are HEAVILY CPU dependent but if I'd be okay regardless it'd be nice. I don't think my 650 ti can completely max anything anyways and thats okay with me for the time being.

The 4670 will run games fine without overclocking. For gaming the gains are minimal if you don't want to spend more money

Understood then, I think I'll likely go with the cpu that doesn't overclock well unless others have more input. Also that case looks nice! Much bigger than what I have.

I also talked to my friend about payment and yeah, he refuses to let me pay. (But I'll likely slip him $50 when he doesn't notice)
#12ShubPosted 9/19/2013 11:27:49 AM
I don't think your hard drive is SCSI like you said, but if it is, you had better make sure you take your SCSI controller from your current computer.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 12:03:42 PM
Shub posted...
I don't think your hard drive is SCSI like you said, but if it is, you had better make sure you take your SCSI controller from your current computer.

SCSI? Maybe I'll play it safe and just get a TB HDD anyways to save myself a hassle for the future as well, I don't know where my windows cd key is anyways so I'll just use my.. free version cd.. and speaking of CDs I'm guessing with a new case I'd need to buy a CD drive as well?

I guess brand of CD drive doesnt matter but I'd prefer a nice HDD since I've heard that can impact computer speed as well and I might as well upgrade everything while I'm at all this since I'm still under budget.

Sorry for the hassle but thank you all a great deal for helping me thus far!
#14ShubPosted 9/19/2013 12:13:10 PM
HeroshiX2 posted...
SCSI?

You said it yourself in your first post...

HeroshiX2 posted...
Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB) - Harddive (I'd prefer not to upgrade this just yet but I will in the future be going to 1TB and an SSD at some point.)

If you don't know what SCSI is then it's even less likely that you have a SCSI hard drive, so just forget it, or look up your hard drive's model number and make sure it's SATA, not SCSI.
If it is SATA, you certainly do not need to replace it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 12:33:49 PM
Shub posted...
HeroshiX2 posted...
SCSI?

You said it yourself in your first post...

HeroshiX2 posted...
Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB) - Harddive (I'd prefer not to upgrade this just yet but I will in the future be going to 1TB and an SSD at some point.)

If you don't know what SCSI is then it's even less likely that you have a SCSI hard drive, so just forget it, or look up your hard drive's model number and make sure it's SATA, not SCSI.
If it is SATA, you certainly do not need to replace it.

Well, what I pasted there was a direct copy from what pc wizard told me I had since it was the only part I was unfamiliar with. And googling isn't turning up much so I'd take it it is SCSI, this PC was storebought before I replaced the PSU and GPU, it's about 4-5 years old if not more.
#16WerdnAndreWPosted 9/19/2013 12:36:06 PM
Go into the device manager, there it will tell you the model number.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#17Loserman15Posted 9/19/2013 2:03:03 PM
I can't think of any prebuilt computer that would have SCSI, but maybe I'm wrong.
#18HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 2:50:43 PM
Well, going into device manager it still mentions SCSI so, I guess I'm out of luck. But perhaps I'm missing something as the name of the device is still the same ST3whatever.
#19WerdnAndreWPosted 9/19/2013 3:03:22 PM(edited)
This is your hard drive which uses SATA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148445

I think it has to do with the sata controller because I have a 2TB drive on a PCI-E sata card and it says its a SCSI drive.
http://i.imgur.com/A5oJfmg.png
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#20HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 3:46:41 PM
Ah, thank you then. I'll have to think on upgrading my HDD now since 7200 is about the norm for rpm and.. I'm not really that hard pressed for space but another couple hundred gigs does sound nice.

However I'm still concerned about disk drive, do I need to buy one for that case? Or does it come with one? I have no idea on how I could check.

I think the rest is up to me now since I have most everything answered, thank you all tons. I'll be getting the non-overclocked cpu posted on page one (but still getting that new heat sink, looking at reviews everywhere it seems to get a bit warm with the stock heat sink) along with the rest pasted there.