This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.
I currently have a Logitech Wave keyboard and mouse combo, and this is the second one I've had. I love Logitech products. I built my first computer in 2007, and the Wave from that computer, which is still in operation in the living room, works (albeit the keys have worn out considerably.)
However, I was in Best Buy getting an Ouya for my birthday, and I happened to come across this:
a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate mechanical keyboard. Man, those clicky keys are something to behold. I instantly wanted it, but decided to wait and see what else there is to offer, as I know Razer can sometimes be known as a not-so reputable brand.
Anyway, I was wondering if there were any suitable mechanical keyboards that have
1.) Cherry MX Blue switches, and
2.) A backlight.
3.) $100 dollars or less.
Or if perhaps the Blackwidow was the way to go.
Thank you much! :D
Ive had the blackwidow tournament edition keyboard for nearly about five months now. not a single hiccup
CM Storm Quickfire XT
Edit: These don't have backlight. Could go for Ducky Zero Shine, Corsair, or the CM Storm TK or Pro.
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day
I have the black widow ultimate. Easily the best keyboard I"ve ever owned, so satisfying to type and game on
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
I recently got the Black Widow Tournament Edition, but it doesn't have a backlight. It's really amazing though... The Quickfire is also really good, but I couldn't get that one in blue over here so went with this one instead. Good things blue keys feel pretty similar for every keyboard they're on, so in that regard it doesn't matter that much what you choose.
3DS FC 5043-2061-7637
For Cherry MX Blues, you'd have to go with the Ducky Shine II. Or something from Max Keyboards.
Avoid Razer's keyboards, as they're just rebranded iOne keyboards and thus have s*** build quality.
Personally I'd recommend you get a Deck Legend Tactile with Cherry MX Clears. Clears are stiffer browns, and the keyboard has the following advantages:
1. All keycaps are PBT, except for the spacebar I think which is ABS.
2. The keycaps use a custom double-shot + sublimination process for printing. What they do is have an outer black "skirt," and an inner white key fitted to go in the skirt and make a uniform key. Theyh heat the inner white part up so hot that when they set black dye on it, it seeps into the melted plastic and becomes part of the key itself. So they print everything except the letter black. This is why the Legend is the ONLY backlit keyboard in existence, mechanical or otherwise, that the letters will NEVER rub off on.
3. Full NKRO over PS/2, 6KRO over USB. Note that the cable can be switched. When you open the compartment on the bottom of the keyboard, the cable is PS/2 on one end and USB on another end, so it can be freely switched from one to the other. To switch from PS/2 to USB, you remove a resistor. To switch from USB to PS/2, you solder a resistor back on.
4. 5 different backlighting colors (three are Linear only, meaning you have to get them with Cherry MX Black switches. I have a Fire with Blacks and love it).
5. Backlighting intensity is adjustable via the Fn key on the board, ranging from level 0 (off) to 7 (full brightness).
6. The keys have a custom font on them that I didn't like at first but now I find charming.
Console war in a nutshell:
No problems with my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid for 2 years. I would definitely recommend it, but you want a backlight, so try the more expensive version that was suggested above.
i5 3570K @ 4.0GHz | MSI Z77A-G45 | MSI GTX 760 | Corsair GS 600 | Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | CM Storm Scout II
Leopold, Filco, Deck, Keycool, WASD, Cooler Master... there are tons of things to consider.
For me personally, a couple of things I really need for the typing experience is that the mechanical switches need to be mounted on a steel backplate. I need 6 or more key rollover. And I need costar stabilizers. All of the other things are just luxuries to me.
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H