This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Amnesia give me a headache when I play?

#1HaxnStashPosted 9/19/2013 6:06:06 AM(edited)
I really want to play the game but whenever I try, I get a headache after a couple of minutes. Normally, motion blur and head bobbing gives me headache on FPS's so I turn those off.

I do the same with Amnesia. I turn off any blur options I see but I still get headaches. Is there maybe someone here who has the same problem and fixed it? I turn off any motion blur effects but I still see some blurring when I move and look around.

I'm guessing The Penumbra Series, Machine for Pigs and Outlast will give me the same thing :( And I really want to play those too.
#2arleasPosted 9/19/2013 6:06:01 AM
If there's an option for FOV widen the FOV a bit... if there isn't an option, try sitting a bit farther back from the screen...also play in a well lit room and don't play for extended periods of time (more than 20 minutes is probably too much).

I know that all sounds like a drag, but there isn't a whole lot else you could do...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#3MonkeymagePosted 9/19/2013 6:08:32 AM
Take some laudanum to restore sanity.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#4HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 6:08:56 AM
arleas posted...
If there's an option for FOV widen the FOV a bit... if there isn't an option, try sitting a bit farther back from the screen...also play in a well lit room and don't play for extended periods of time (more than 20 minutes is probably too much).

I know that all sounds like a drag, but there isn't a whole lot else you could do...

Hmm, I have not tried changing the FOV. Maybe that could help. Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll also try to increase the brightness a bit. I try to make it as dark as possible for more immersion.
#5snesmaster40Posted 9/19/2013 6:11:59 AM
HaxnStash posted...
arleas posted...

Hmm, I have not tried changing the FOV. Maybe that could help. Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll also try to increase the brightness a bit. I try to make it as dark as possible for more immersion.

It will help. I get motion sickness very easily in FPS games where the default FOV is too low. Setting it to 90 or 100 will solves all your problems.
---
Are we not men?
#6HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 6:12:07 AM
Monkeymage posted...

Unfortunately, I don't get far into the game. I think I have not seen any Laudanums on my multiple tries to play it and I search every nook and cranny.
#7MonkeymagePosted 9/19/2013 6:24:39 AM
HaxnStash posted...
Monkeymage posted...

Unfortunately, I don't get far into the game. I think I have not seen any Laudanums on my multiple tries to play it and I search every nook and cranny.

I meant in real life.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#8HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 7:11:18 AM
Thanks a lot Arleas and Snes. After changing the FOV to 90 (at 1920 x 1080), I played the game and was expecting to get a headache. Fortunately, none came. I stopped playing just now to post this that it worked. Thanks a lot! The default FOV was at 70. I also turned off insanity effects.

Going to play more. Thanks.
#9arleasPosted 9/19/2013 7:19:32 AM
The default FOV was at 70

Yeah that ruins most games unless you're playing on a big screen TV and sitting about 8 feet away on a couch.

Enjoy the game (I never got into Amnesia...but I don't really care for scary games anyway).
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#10dioxxysPosted 9/19/2013 7:24:08 AM
i find that I get headaches sometimes if I am staring at a screen in a dark room, that why I always put another light on, its bad for your eyes anyway.