This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help buying a laptop for parents please?

#1Sir_TmasPosted 9/19/2013 7:26:16 AM
Hey guys.

My parents are looking at getting a new laptop so I was just wondering if anybody knew any of the better websites to buy laptops from? I'm looking through the PC world site and everything seems so expensive for what components you actually get, and I'm also sick of finding laptops with 1tb 7200 RPM HDD, 8 GB of RAM and then something dire like a 1.5 Ghz old architecture CPU. I also just hate the bloody company...

Does anybody know of any decent websites/any good deals on at the moment? We live in the UK, so preferably if we could get something from here that'd be great.

It's only going to be used for browsing the net/streaming stuff really. Nothing too intensive but as always they would like something that would last for 4/5 years (assuming they look after it). It doesn't need a graphics card (although I'm not saying it can't have one). Also, please don't just say 'build them a desktop', because they don't want a desktop, it is totally out of the question.

Preferred Specs

Sandy Bridge 2.4 Ghz (or better)
4 GB RAM
7200 RPM HDD (size doesn't matter too much - I can just upgrade it if needs be)
Decent physical size (i.e not a notebook)

Is it possible to get something like this within the 350 price range?

Thanks in advance!
---
>_>
<_<
#2Sir_Tmas(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 7:37:47 AM
Opinions on this?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_15.6_CORE_I5_2450M4GB500GB_1GB_WIN8_VFYAH532M6352GB/version.asp

The title says i3 but in the details it lists multiple times that it's an i5...
---
>_>
<_<
#3ImMrMojoRisinPosted 9/19/2013 7:38:06 AM
LOL, what does it matter which laptop you get? They're just going to do email and web browsing on it anyway. Get them a cheap netbook and call it a day.
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 9/19/2013 7:41:07 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-X550CA-15-6-inch-Notebook-Silver/dp/B00E37N5NU/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1379601479&sr=1-10

Don't know what RPM the HDD is, but it really does not matter at all for what your parents are doing.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5Sir_Tmas(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:05:06 AM
ImMrMojoRisin posted...
LOL, what does it matter which laptop you get? They're just going to do email and web browsing on it anyway. Get them a cheap netbook and call it a day.

It just seems entirely unnecessary to buy them a god awful laptop that will grind to a halt after a year when I can spend a little bit of time searching the market and just inquiring here. My housemate recently bought a laptop (not knowing anything about computers) - like many others, he got sucked into buying a laptop with 8 gb RAM and a TB HDD, but realised his mistake when his new laptop took forever to boot up/open any programs thanks to a Celeron clocked at 1.4 Ghz

In the long run, it would probably be quicker writing your messages by hand and sending them via royal mail than it would sending an email on some of these laptops...
---
>_>
<_<
#6ImMrMojoRisinPosted 9/19/2013 8:12:11 AM
Sir_Tmas posted...
ImMrMojoRisin posted...

It just seems entirely unnecessary to buy them a god awful laptop that will grind to a halt after a year when I can spend a little bit of time searching the market and just inquiring here. My housemate recently bought a laptop (not knowing anything about computers) - like many others, he got sucked into buying a laptop with 8 gb RAM and a TB HDD, but realised his mistake when his new laptop took forever to boot up/open any programs thanks to a Celeron clocked at 1.4 Ghz

In the long run, it would probably be quicker writing your messages by hand and sending them via royal mail than it would sending an email on some of these laptops...

But letter writing is such a lost are these days... :P

I see your point, though. My suggestion would be to go to Best Buy (or equivalent) and see what was on sale. There is usually some good laptops that are just on their way out, but would be fine for your parents.
#7EStar999Posted 9/19/2013 8:16:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8cancerstormPosted 9/20/2013 9:34:35 AM
chromebook
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg