This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is this for a start-up gaming rig?

#11ThePCElitistPosted 9/19/2013 8:31:14 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
also you should get one ssd

No he shouldn't... An SSD is NOT a necessity.

I beg to differ. I can't stand even booting a PC up without an SSD anymore. If it takes longer than 10-13 seconds I get frustrated with it.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#12chase1234life(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 9:08:17 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

I beg to differ. I can't stand even booting a PC up without an SSD anymore. If it takes longer than 10-13 seconds I get frustrated with it.

I'm sorry, but that's sad.

I don't need an SSD, and I have no problem waiting an extra 20 seconds because I get an HDD instead of an SSD. I remember when 3-5 minutes was a good start-up time, and 14k modems.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#13ShubPosted 9/19/2013 9:58:22 AM
chase1234life posted...
And professional due to it's XP program backwards compatibility out of the box. I have tons of older software/games that it will come in handy for.

Ok, I see. I wouldn't expect most games to work in XP Mode, but it can be helpful for other non-gaming software. Ultimately it doesn't do much that a regular Windows XP virtual machine would do -- after all it is just a regular Windows XP virtual machine -- but it is basically a free XP license (other than the fact that Win 7 Pro costs $40 more than Home Premium).
You might be surprised by the stuff that will run fine in Windows 7 without the need for XP Mode, though.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#14Nightmare2398Posted 9/19/2013 10:07:52 AM
use pcpartpicker, much easier than individual links
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#15steveboblarryPosted 9/19/2013 1:35:43 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Fade we have talked about this, TAKE YOUR MEDS
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#16AMDZFanPosted 9/19/2013 2:01:44 PM
chase1234life posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

I don't need an SSD, and I have no problem waiting an extra 20 seconds because I get an HDD instead of an SSD. I remember when 3-5 minutes was a good start-up time, and 14k modems.

I have to disagree with ThePCElitist and you both. First, you should not get an SSD (disagreeing with ThePCElitist). The reason is because it's NOT sad that he can't stand booting a PC up without an SSD anymore... it's perfectly natural (disagreeing with you).

Once you get an SSD, you'll realize it was the PC upgrade you've always wanted. It's better than upgrading from a Core 2 Duo to the current gen. Better than going from 2GB of RAM to 16GB of RAM. It will forever shift your expectations for computers, ruining any computer without an SSD for you forever. You'll notice every little pause that you used to put up with before. Right now, you're unaware, but once you've experienced an SSD, for the brief moments pauses happen on every other computer, you'll wonder "Oh crap, did it just crash?"

Seriously, knowing what I know now, if I didn't have an SSD and I had a choice of doubling my processor power or getting an SSD, it wouldn't even take a moment to decide for an SSD.
---
98% of people copy other people's signatures and paste it as their own.
If you are one of the 2% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
#17Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/19/2013 2:14:21 PM
Yea TC I'd heavily recommend getting an SSD as part of the initial build, if you don't it just means you'll have to reinstall your OS and everything when you finally do make the jump.

And SSDs are the bee's knees.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#18Fade2black001Posted 9/19/2013 4:35:29 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Then you need help
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#19Snuckie7Posted 9/19/2013 4:38:05 PM
chase1234life posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Kids these days, always looking for instant gratification.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#20chase1234life(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 6:52:10 PM
Bumping this for notes when purchasing.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life