This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways to play Windows 95/98 games on a Windows 8?

#1sonic_man00Posted 9/19/2013 8:44:37 AM
Is it possible?
---
PC > 360 > PS2 > 3DS > PSP > Wii
Windows 8/AMD Dual-Core E-3000/4 GB RAM/ATi Radeon HD 6310/320 GB HD
#2reincarnator07Posted 9/19/2013 8:47:30 AM
Depends on the game. Got a couple of old games running natively on windows 7 with no issue, while there were others that I had to install on a virtual machine to get running.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3ElDudorinoPosted 9/19/2013 8:47:46 AM
Be more specific. There are Windows 95/98 games that will run without tweaks in Windows 8. Other Windows 95 games have been hard to run on anything past XP but by messing with them you can generally get them to work flawlessly. What games are you worried about running?
#4sonic_man00(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:50:32 AM
ElDudorino posted...
Be more specific. There are Windows 95/98 games that will run without tweaks in Windows 8. Other Windows 95 games have been hard to run on anything past XP but by messing with them you can generally get them to work flawlessly. What games are you worried about running?
/

Well, I got the old Sonic & Knuckles Collection at Goodwill (It was made around the time of 95/98), And i wanted to play it on my new Windows 8.
---
#5SlaynPosted 9/19/2013 8:51:50 AM
sonic_man00 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
/

Well, I got the old Sonic & Knuckles Collection at Goodwill (It was made around the time of 95/98), And i wanted to play it on my new Windows 8.

What happens when you try it out?

You did try it out?

Right?

.....Right.....?
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#6sonic_man00(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:53:05 AM
Slayn posted...
sonic_man00 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
/

You did try it out?

Right?

.....Right.....?

I tried it on my old XP, And it worked really well, But i can't record gameplay on it, And its freakishly slow. My W8 doesn't run slow, So i'm trying to see if i can.
---
#7SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 9:21:10 AM
sonic_man00 posted...
Slayn posted...
sonic_man00 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
/

You did try it out?

Right?

.....Right.....?

I tried it on my old XP, And it worked really well, But i can't record gameplay on it, And its freakishly slow. My W8 doesn't run slow, So i'm trying to see if i can.

Both AMD and nVidia dropped support for DirectX8 and older in their drivers.
So now those old games run freakishly slow.

A few of those games support 3dFX, you can get 3dFX wrappers to play those games in that mode. I personally use nGlide.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 9:27:12 AM
You can use a virtual machine (like Virtual PC), and install Windows 9x in it. Most games will work.

You can also install Dosbox 0.75, and install Windows 95 in it too. Its not very easy to do, but there are some guides over the net. I have a Windows 95 installation in my Dosbox, and can play most games ever made for Windows 9x that don't work on newer Windows.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#9SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 9:30:03 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
You can use a virtual machine (like Virtual PC), and install Windows 9x in it. Most games will work.

You can also install Dosbox 0.75, and install Windows 95 in it too. Its not very easy to do, but there are some guides over the net. I have a Windows 95 installation in my Dosbox, and can play most games ever made for Windows 9x that don't work on newer Windows.

The problem with VM's is that you don't get the hardware acceleration.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 10:08:11 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

The problem with VM's is that you don't get the hardware acceleration.

Thats true. But most Windows 9x games have software acceleration, so thats not a huge issue. The games will look a bit uglier, and will work slower, but its better than nothing. ;)

Sonic & Knuckles Collection, btw, doesn't require hardware acceleration, and works quite well on my Dosbox + Windows 95 setup. ;)

---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!