This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways to play Windows 95/98 games on a Windows 8?

#11SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 10:08:24 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
You can use a virtual machine (like Virtual PC), and install Windows 9x in it. Most games will work.

You can also install Dosbox 0.75, and install Windows 95 in it too. Its not very easy to do, but there are some guides over the net. I have a Windows 95 installation in my Dosbox, and can play most games ever made for Windows 9x that don't work on newer Windows.

The problem with VM's is that you don't get the hardware acceleration.

Thats true. But most Windows 9x games have software acceleration, so thats not a huge issue. The games will look a bit uglier, and will work slower, but its better than nothing. ;)

That's not usually a compromise us PC people make :D

Try my 3dfx solution first, it works very well.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 10:38:07 AM(edited)
But your solution only works for games that support 3DFX. And there aren't THAT many. ;)

BTW, I still have a 3DFX card: a 12 MB Diamond Monster Voodoo 2. It was an AMAZING card when I was a teen. ;) It still works great (but overheats easily). I had two in SLI, but one of them broke...

---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#13SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 10:38:33 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
But your solution only works for games that support 3DFX. And there aren't THAT many. ;)

BTW, I still have a 3DFX card: a 12 MB Diamond Monster Voodoo 2. It was an AMAZING card when I was a teen. ;) It still works great (but overheats easily). I had two in SLI, but one of them broke...

Yes but a lot of the games in that era did support 3dfx.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14JKatarnPosted 9/19/2013 10:45:09 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
sonic_man00 posted...
Slayn posted...
sonic_man00 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
Be more specific. There are Windows 95/98 games that will run without tweaks in Windows 8. Other Windows 95 games have been hard to run on anything past XP but by messing with them you can generally get them to work flawlessly. What games are you worried about running?
/

Well, I got the old Sonic & Knuckles Collection at Goodwill (It was made around the time of 95/98), And i wanted to play it on my new Windows 8.

What happens when you try it out?

You did try it out?

Right?

.....Right.....?

I tried it on my old XP, And it worked really well, But i can't record gameplay on it, And its freakishly slow. My W8 doesn't run slow, So i'm trying to see if i can.

Both AMD and nVidia dropped support for DirectX8 and older in their drivers.
So now those old games run freakishly slow.

A few of those games support 3dFX, you can get 3dFX wrappers to play those games in that mode. I personally use nGlide.

I call BS on that - yes, there can be some graphics glitchiness with games that use older DX versions - say 6 or earlier, but they certainly don't run "freakishly slow", and they certainly haven't dropped support for earlier versions in their drivers.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#15JKatarnPosted 9/19/2013 10:46:36 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
You can use a virtual machine (like Virtual PC), and install Windows 9x in it. Most games will work.

You can also install Dosbox 0.75, and install Windows 95 in it too. Its not very easy to do, but there are some guides over the net. I have a Windows 95 installation in my Dosbox, and can play most games ever made for Windows 9x that don't work on newer Windows.

The problem with VM's is that you don't get the hardware acceleration.

Thats true. But most Windows 9x games have software acceleration, so thats not a huge issue. The games will look a bit uglier, and will work slower, but its better than nothing. ;)

Sonic & Knuckles Collection, btw, doesn't require hardware acceleration, and works quite well on my Dosbox + Windows 95 setup. ;)

When you're using a machine that is orders of magnitude faster and has much more RAM then the original target machine for a game, I hardly think software acceleration (unless it's truly horribly optimized) is much of an issue.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#16SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 10:52:49 AM(edited)
JKatarn posted...

I call BS on that - yes, there can be some graphics glitchiness with games that use older DX versions - say 6 or earlier, but they certainly don't run "freakishly slow", and they certainly haven't dropped support for earlier versions in their drivers.

Your welcome to go play some older games.

I haven't tried in DX8 games lately, last time I did was 3 years ago (Rakion). I posted on the nVidia forms and they said DX8 was no longer supported so it was emulating features and causing the framerate problems.

I know my 9600 struggles to get over 20fps in Worms armageddon (dx6)
In Mtm2, the 3rd point of every triangle is being joined with the 1st point of the next triangle making a complete mess (dx4)

MTM1 gets about 10 frames per second in 3D accel mode, but 200fps in software mode (DX3)

In Populous the beginning, it just goes mad, icons disappear, stuff gets stretched and moved, fonts are unreadable. I don't remember if its DX6 or DX7.

Carmageddon 2, I don't think it even launches, I have been using the glide wrapper for awhile now I so I don't remember what went wrong that I had to use it.
---
#17MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 10:59:01 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
JKatarn posted...

I haven't tried in DX8 games lately, last time I did was 3 years ago (Rakion). I posted on the nVidia forms and they said DX8 was no longer supported so it was emulating features and causing the framerate problems.

In Mtm2, the 3rd point of every triangle is being joined with the 1st point of the next triangle making a complete mess (dx4)

MTM1 gets about 10 frames per second in 3D accel mode, but 200fps in software mode (DX3)

In Populous the beginning, it just goes mad, icons disappear, stuff gets stretched and moved, fonts are unreadable. I don't remember if its DX6 or DX7.

Carmageddon 2, I don't think it even launches, I have been using the glide wrapper for awhile now I so I don't remember what went wrong that I had to use it.

AMD cards are still a bit better in this. MTM 2 works perfectly on my card, while my earlier NVIDIA one had the graphic glitches you've mentioned, and where quite apparent.

Carmaggeddon 2 works too on my card, with a little drop in framerate.

NOLF 1 and 2, I couldn't even play on my NVIDIA, but I play both of them perfectly on my AMD. ;)

But Worms Armaggeddon is really weird. Not only it works quite slow, it crashes a lot in my end...
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#18SinisterSlayPosted 9/19/2013 10:58:01 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
JKatarn posted...

AMD cards are still a bit better in this. MTM 2 works perfectly on my card, while my earlier NVIDIA one had the graphic glitches you've mentioned.

Carmaggeddon 2 works too on my card, with a little drop in framerate.

NOLF 1 and 2, I couldn't even play on my NVIDIA, but I play both of them perfectly on my AMD. ;)

But Worms Armaggeddon is really weird. Not only it works quite slow, it crashes a lot in my end...

Perhaps it's just nVidia that wrecked these great old games :(
---