This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wing Commander series is 50% off on GOG

#1AlexTheNextOnePosted 9/19/2013 1:18:20 PM
Never got to experience those games when I was younger, but I thought I would mention it, for anyone big on Wing Commander.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~
#2BogePosted 9/19/2013 1:23:35 PM
Wing Commander 3 is my second all time favorite PC game. Wing Commander 4 is just about as awesome, and Prophecy is pretty good as well. I never played the ones older than those though.

They are similar to Mass Effect, but much more shallow. You basically run around on your ship and talk to people for story, then go fly a flight sim battle.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 1:55:39 PM(edited)
They are all great games, albeit 1 and 2 are a bit TOO hard for most gamers.

3 and 4 have a difficulty selector (and have built-in cheats), and they are quite easy in the lowest difficulty. ;)

The stories in all of them is great. It has drama, a little bit of comedy, a pinch of romance... The characters are quite well developed, btw.

The gameplay is great, but a bit hard. In all of them, you basically go from one waypoint to another, fighting enemy ships in very good action-packed space combats. Sometimes you fight some boss ships (called Capital Ships in the games) in some very challenging combats. Sometimes you have the chance to use better equiped ships (which are slower though), and each ship has its own cockpit.

Outside combat, you basically watch some non-interactive scenes (semi-interactive in 3 and 4) that tell the story in a very detailed way. It was revolutionary at the time, even if there's nothing new by today's standarts.

OH, and lets not forget: 3 and 4 have some great actors playing the characters (including Mark Hamill as the main character). While FMV games usually are meh, it was quite well done in here.

Great games. Great games indeed. :)
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#4Golden_GonadsPosted 9/19/2013 2:13:17 PM
Boge posted...

You basically run around on your ship and talk to people for story, then go fly a flight sim battle.

... What? Its nothing like Mass Effect! You speak to a few people on the ship to drive the story forwards sure, but that's it. There's no choices you make or anything there.

Actually there are a few divergences in the series - If you 'fail' missions without dying, subsequent missions are harder. Fail enough/very important ones and you move onto the losing track - A few missions where due to your earlier incompetence, you lose the war regardless of how well you fly from there on in.
#5MarceloSampaioPosted 9/19/2013 3:45:08 PM
Golden_Gonads posted...
Boge posted...

You basically run around on your ship and talk to people for story, then go fly a flight sim battle.

... What? Its nothing like Mass Effect! You speak to a few people on the ship to drive the story forwards sure, but that's it. There's no choices you make or anything there.

In WC 3 and 4, there are some choices to make. And those choices DO change the story in some points.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#6Mogu_MoguPosted 9/19/2013 4:11:23 PM
Star Control 2 for the better Mass Effect game.
Wing Commander is just you're a pilot, generally a wing leader, in a futuristic fleet up against an alien force. Have at it. :)
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#7Golden_GonadsPosted 9/19/2013 4:21:07 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...

In WC 3 and 4, there are some choices to make. And those choices DO change the story in some points.

True enough. I was think 1 & 2 when I wrote that... Mind, the branching is extremely minor (Except near the beginning of 4 where you can end up on the losing track after just a couple of missions).
#8BogePosted 9/20/2013 1:54:41 PM
Golden_Gonads posted...
Boge posted...

Actually there are a few divergences in the series - If you 'fail' missions without dying, subsequent missions are harder. Fail enough/very important ones and you move onto the losing track - A few missions where due to your earlier incompetence, you lose the war regardless of how well you fly from there on in.

It felt like Mass Effect 1 to me. In Mass Effect 1 I went to some area, shot some people up, completed my mission then went back to my ship for conversations. Then back out for another shooting session, then back to the ship for conversations. Then I had my romance choice, then back to shooting, then ship, then shooting. The flow was very similar to Wing Commander 3 to me.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.