This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I never realized how much I hated QTEs...

#1Incendia_IntusPosted 9/20/2013 3:26:13 AM
Until earlier today during my first time playing Castlevania LOS. As if straying away from what I knew and loved as Castlevania wasn't enough, they dump a ton of these in the game too?

Want to stretch your hand, sip a beverage, reposition yourself, watch the cinematic and enjoy? Go ahead... NOPE! JUST KIDDING! MASH THESE BUTTONS TO CONTINUE!
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#2x_stevey_xPosted 9/20/2013 3:29:18 AM
my favorites are the ones where you have to mash X repeatedly in order to open a door or turn a crank .. like pushing X once wasn't enough. i want the door open. why do i have to push X 10 times?
#3TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/20/2013 4:07:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4JavelinPosted 9/20/2013 4:13:29 AM
Button-mashing and QTEs? Well duh, it's a console port. That's the sort of "gameplay" peasants wet themselves over when talking about their "amazing console exclusives".
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#5TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/20/2013 4:15:31 AM
Not all QTEs are bad. Ones that don't require an unfair amount of speed, don't take long to redo (if they can even be redone; see example later in post) and aren't around every corner can be cool. There are people that complain about cutscenes not being interactive, and that's one thing that QTEs could fix. Being able to make my own cutscene based on decisions I made within the cutscene would be cool (and by decisions, I don't mean wrong decisions that result in death shortly thereafter). It's just that a lot of developers don't use QTEs that way (they're probably lazy, not creative, or both).
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 9/20/2013 4:22:45 AM
the QTE's in Castlevania are not bad at all. TC you're exaggerating your ass off.

Go play Ninja Blade and then come talk to me about QTE's...
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#7ZeraphLordSPosted 9/20/2013 5:10:01 AM
The only game I've played that wouldn't have been better without QTEs was Indigo Prophecy.

Control shouldn't be abstracted so many levels away from the player; if they want to have you do something in a cutscene, give limited control back to the player in the most natural way possible, rather than pigeonholing some canned animation to an arbitrary button.

DS2, while having a few obtrusive events, usually lets you have control without making you feel like you're suddenly not in control of Isaac. Admittedly, Dead Space was a bit of an exception when it comes to blending things seamlessly into the world.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#8XatrionPosted 9/20/2013 5:11:54 AM
Always hated QTEs. Probably one of the most laziest elements of modern game design. You tend to get a feel for how little devs care about gameplay when all it can be boiled down to is "Press X to not die" or "Press X to win".

Even in cutscenes they're a pain in the ass. Hard to enjoy one when I'm concentrating on two inches of screen waiting for a button prompt.
---
Shut your BF28/9 sound hole and listen up.
I came here to laugh at you.
#9zxelmanPosted 9/20/2013 5:32:45 AM(edited)
As long as QTEs don't make the game and only appear to "finish the boss" when you already finished gameplay-wise, I'm ok. Final Fantasy 13 doesn't do it too much in my book.

If they are everywhere, excessive, appear at inappropriate times, or just flat-out don't make sense, then I hate it. The core of the gameplay should never consistently have QTEs.

Now if they appear randomly during a cutscene, it depends. Sometimes I hate how in a relaxing cutscene I have to do something all sudden. If it's obvious that action is happening and then I'm told to do something, it's not that bad.
#10SinisterSlayPosted 9/20/2013 6:55:33 AM
I failed every single QTE in Tomb Raider, usually multiple times.

Actually, only the final boss fight, which is all QTE's, did I actually finish first try, although I did miss one of the QTE's in that fight as well.

That falling rock at the start killed me 20 times before I googled how to get passed it.
The wolf killed me another 10 times.
The scene where the dude strangles you, took me a couple hours to get through, I was ready to delete the game at that point.

I enjoyed the game, but the QTE's seriously pissed me off. They brought the game from a 9/10 to a 2/10 for me.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence