This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I never realized how much I hated QTEs...

#11TheChiefWhipPosted 9/20/2013 7:27:28 AM
Xatrion posted...
Always hated QTEs. Probably one of the most laziest elements of modern game design. You tend to get a feel for how little devs care about gameplay when all it can be boiled down to is "Press X to not die" or "Press X to win".

Even in cutscenes they're a pain in the ass. Hard to enjoy one when I'm concentrating on two inches of screen waiting for a button prompt.

^This.

QTE's are a cancer in games today.
#12Incendia_Intus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 7:30:43 AM
TheChiefWhip posted...
Xatrion posted...
Always hated QTEs. Probably one of the most laziest elements of modern game design. You tend to get a feel for how little devs care about gameplay when all it can be boiled down to is "Press X to not die" or "Press X to win".

Even in cutscenes they're a pain in the ass. Hard to enjoy one when I'm concentrating on two inches of screen waiting for a button prompt.

^This.

QTE's are a cancer in games today.

Amen.

It makes me happy so many gamers agree.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#13SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/20/2013 7:51:04 AM
The QTEs in Wonderful 101 are pretty awesome,
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#14jokujokujokuPosted 9/20/2013 8:31:41 AM
What I particularly don't like is when you fail a particular QTE sequence, and get set back right to the beginning of that QTE sequence. If it's a little tricky then you end up doing nothing but playing that QTE sequence over and over and over again until you finally get it right. In these situations where failure does nothing but require you to try again, what's the point in the QTEs in the first place?

I liked Heavy Rain (a game of nothing but QTEs) largely because when you failed a QTE it actually affected the game and story, it didn't just make you try again endlessly.
#15CC RicersPosted 9/20/2013 8:35:18 AM
Honestly I wanted to play Ryse on the XBone, one of the few exclusives I was interested in, but the QTEs in the demo turned me off. I want to actually time my attacks and combos, need some actual skill to grab someone and throw them off a ledge. Other than that, the premise of being in the thick of combat in an ancient Roman setting looks very enticing.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#16jake-sfPosted 9/20/2013 9:15:04 AM
I don't understand why they put QTE, but it does go against everything I love about the concept of "organic gameplay design", if that makes any sense to anyone. Gameplay needs to flow in many ways and you come up with ideas that plays with your system or expend it.

That is just the very basic of gameplay design. Saying "screw it, lets make something cool, and the player must time a button press in a cutscene" is the complete opposite of that philosophy.

Castlevania LOS is a terrible game. I was really disappointed after seeing various "people "here hype it when it was announced for PC. Really, I hope that isn't the best consoles have, because its worst than I thought.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#17GoldninjaPosted 9/20/2013 9:23:42 AM
My favorite was in one of the Assassins Creed games. There's supposed to be this sad moment as a dear character has died. There's emotional music, a voice over, all sad, etc. with "press X to dig" plastered on the screen. Talk about ruining the moment.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#18somebody336Posted 9/20/2013 9:40:36 AM
I hate them as well. Feels like they are saying "Hey look at all this cool stuff going on! Huh? What?! You want to actually play? Fine. >.> QUICK PRESS X!!! Too late........having fun yet?"
#19Binba442Posted 9/20/2013 9:42:29 AM
Javelin posted...
Button-mashing and QTEs? Well duh, it's a console port. That's the sort of "gameplay" peasants wet themselves over when talking about their "amazing console exclusives".

See: Ryse
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#20KillerTrufflePosted 9/20/2013 9:54:25 AM
I'm shocked the QTE defense force hasn't shown up yet!

I've always been highly vocal about how terrible QTEs are. There is NOTHING good about them. They appear during cinematic cutscenes more often than not, and prevent you from actually watching the scene, because you have to be ready to press X or Y at just the right time.

If you're going to use them in a big epic fight, don't. Instead, let me make use of proper fighting moves that *I* have control over, rather than simply having to match timing to press or mash a specific button at a specific time. Don't suck away the sense of accomplishment after fighting a big boss by switching over to a game of Simon to finish him off. Let me actually perform a big attack. And stop trying to "keep me active" during cutscenes by tossing some QTEs in there. Let me sit back and watch the f***ing thing, or don't include it and add more actual gameplay instead.

QTEs really are a cancer on gaming. I have never once seen them done "correctly," and I personally believe the only "correct" way to do them is to leave them out completely.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23