This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam "Living Room" page. Hype train is leaving the station.

#31thatfool12GsPosted 9/23/2013 12:06:59 AM
steveboblarry posted...
Gaben=Heisenberg

Lol
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#32AcquirePosted 9/23/2013 12:55:32 AM(edited)
GravyButt posted...
Wonder if the Steambox will just be a streambox over wifi

I was actually just thinking that and that would be pretty cool especially if it came with usb ports that way we can use keyboard and mouse or gamepad of choice. The only real alternative right now is nvidia's shield, which requires an nvidia card, restricts you to use it as the input device for controls, and has a higher price because of it also being a handheld android gaming device. The "living room" experience makes it seem like it'll be more than games. It may be like a google tv device allowing it to be the center media hub in your living room, granting access to music, video, and video games.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#33SlaynPosted 9/23/2013 12:57:13 AM
I'm trying to think of what exactly this can be... either it's a console that plays certain steam games, or it is a streaming device, kind of like an Apply TV but made for video games.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#34ChromaticAngelPosted 9/23/2013 1:28:37 AM
Acquire posted...
GravyButt posted...

I was actually just thinking that and that would be pretty cool especially if it came with usb ports that way we can use keyboard and mouse or gamepad of choice. The only real alternative right now is nvidia's shield, which requires an nvidia card, restricts you to use it as the input device for controls, and has a higher price because of it also being a handheld android gaming device. The "living room" experience makes it seem like it'll be more than games. It may be like a google tv device allowing it to be the center media hub in your living room, granting access to music, video, and video games.

I have the nVidia Shield and a GTX 680 in my desktop and after playing around with the streaming it does to the Shield over the recommended 5GHz wi-fi, I can tell you straight up if the Steambox is actually just a Streambox it will be dead straight up worthless. I can go into more detail if you are interested.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#35Cool_Dude667Posted 9/23/2013 2:21:29 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Acquire posted...
GravyButt posted...

I have the nVidia Shield and a GTX 680 in my desktop and after playing around with the streaming it does to the Shield over the recommended 5GHz wi-fi, I can tell you straight up if the Steambox is actually just a Streambox it will be dead straight up worthless. I can go into more detail if you are interested.

Is the lag that bad?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#36claytonbuckleyPosted 9/23/2013 2:39:53 AM
It'll be a Steam Box, which IS NOT A CONSOLE!
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#37ChromaticAngelPosted 9/23/2013 11:20:02 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Is the lag that bad?

there is no real lag so long as you're playing a few feet away from your router (assuming your PC is hooked up with a cable) but the only real place I can stream games from PC my to is my bed.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.