This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Putting together my first PC flip the switch, flashes on then turns off.

#1DetectivPenguinPosted 9/20/2013 6:45:50 PM
Trying to figure out what I did wrong. I've been following a guide pretty much exactly. Although my harddrive isn't here yet and I don't have it plugged in to a monitor at the moment. Could either of those be the issue? When I flip the switch on the PSU to give everything power everything flases on for a second (LEDs, Case Fans, etc) then immediatly turn off at first. Now it actually isn't even doing that. Anyone have any ideas on what I did wrong and how to fix it? Or do I simply need a monitor/HDD I figured it would at least "start up" without these things.
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#2ShubPosted 9/20/2013 6:49:20 PM
No, a computer does not need a hard drive or a monitor in order to boot. Without a hard drive it won't go very far, but it should boot.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3TheFeshPincePosted 9/20/2013 6:50:07 PM
Yikes.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#4wizardmonPosted 9/20/2013 6:50:28 PM
Did you forget your motherboard standoffs?
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#5DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 7:05:06 PM
I only had to put on one because the case already has most of them preinstalled? Did I do something wrong?
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
#6Charlemagne08Posted 9/20/2013 7:06:24 PM
make sure your ram is seated all the way in. happened to me on my first build
#7fataliPosted 9/20/2013 7:13:06 PM
Did you plug both power connectors for the motherboard?

Did you plug the power connectors for the video card?, if you have one.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#8ThescyyPosted 9/20/2013 8:12:21 PM(edited)
DetectivPenguin posted...
I only had to put on one because the case already has most of them preinstalled? Did I do something wrong?

What case did you get by chance? You likely did it right though if they were all in the right spot. I would make sure all the cables are secure, ensure that any expansion cards like your graphics cards are firmly seated in the slot, if its still not going go down to one stick of ram and if that doesn't work then switch sticks.

At that point though you are looking at a failed part. To make sure the psu works without a tool take a paper clip and make it so its two ends and insert it into the what would be where the green and black wires go.(Unplugged obviously, This is simply bridging the wires so it thinks its been turned on,) Plug it in and if the fan starts it likely would work enough to at least post, that's not always true but can usually safely assume that. At that point if the psu fan doesn't start that's your likely cause, if not probably the motherboard.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#9qeoijlijwPosted 9/20/2013 7:17:20 PM
it's bricked
back to square one for you
#10DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 7:26:04 PM
qeoijlijw posted...
it's bricked
back to square one for you

oh boy...
---