This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help with parts for first gaming PC

#1HeroshiX2Posted 9/20/2013 9:15:38 PM
I'm at my wits end, I've been lead around quite a bit, honestly the only games I want to build for are WoW at max/ FFXIV and Guild wars 2 WvWvW just for comparison.

Please, help. My budget is about $700 including shipping and if at all possible I want to keep that PSU / GPU (which will be upgraded in the future, I know it's fine for sure by now).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1FVFD

This is what I came up with in the end and was told it wasn't all that good. Swap whatever with whatever, I just want something that'll work and let me enjoy my games on high/max if at all possible. My other prime concern is getting a case that could fit that heatsink and everything else just fine.

Thank you and sorry for the frustration, I've just been getting mixed word from a number of places and I don't know what to do anymore.
#2ShubPosted 9/20/2013 9:17:36 PM
I bet most people will have said it's "not all that good" on account of the video card... but you already bought that. The only thing I would do is get an i5-4670K rather than a plain 4670. That config looks fine.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#32Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/20/2013 9:21:25 PM
You can get cheaper RAM but if you like that RAM for whatever reason it's fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313353

Other than that get the 4670K since you got an overclocking motherboard and an aftermarket cooler.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#4HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:27:56 PM(edited)
Shub posted...
I bet most people will have said it's "not all that good" on account of the video card... but you already bought that. The only thing I would do is get an i5-4670K rather than a plain 4670. That config looks fine.

Does it really? That's very uplifting if so, as for the K I know it's.. not too much more and would still be in my budget but, wouldn't I need a stronger PSU to overclock or anything? I've never overclocked before and the thought makes me kind of nervous, I really don't want to blow my PC so if I really must, I'd be okay with getting a new power supply, too. It should still be in my budget.

I was also told the motherboard is bad which.. I don't know, I know very little about PC parts unless it's a video card so anything at all that's reassuring about those games would be lovely. I posted on FFXIVs board here asking and got those responses which, yeah, lead me here in desperation and I'm still pretty flustered/nervous to buy anything.

2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
You can get cheaper RAM but if you like that RAM for whatever reason it's fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313353

Other than that get the 4670K since you got an overclocking motherboard and an aftermarket cooler.

Thank you for your post as well, I'll look into getting cheaper RAM, I was stumped on that for awhile as well. I guess that leaves me with still needing a new case to fit the aftermarket cooler, really unsure there or on how I could even measure such things.
#5ShubPosted 9/20/2013 9:27:59 PM
The PSU is more than fine for overclocking. If you're nervous about the concept of overclocking, consider getting the CPU anyway, it's not that much more expensive. You don't have to overclock it, and if you decide to do it some day, you're not stuck with a CPU you can't overclock.
There's nothing wrong with the motherboard.

I honestly can't say how well FF14 will run on a 650 Ti, but it will run, and so will GW2... really a 650 Ti will run anything, just not at the highest levels of detail.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:48:29 PM
Shub posted...
The PSU is more than fine for overclocking. If you're nervous about the concept of overclocking, consider getting the CPU anyway, it's not that much more expensive. You don't have to overclock it, and if you decide to do it some day, you're not stuck with a CPU you can't overclock.
There's nothing wrong with the motherboard.

I honestly can't say how well FF14 will run on a 650 Ti, but it will run, and so will GW2... really a 650 Ti will run anything, just not at the highest levels of detail.

I understand, I'll just swap out the CPU since it's the same speed just with the potential to overclock, I have a friend with quite the worse video card and he runs xiv on low/med and gw2 on med/sometimes high so.. maybe I'll be okay, at least for awhile until I upgrade my gpu and at that point I hope I don't need a stronger PSU but doubt it if I'm only using one card.

I still could use help on the heatsink size/case thing...
#7HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:38:17 PM
bump!
#8HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 11:55:48 PM
Last bump I suppose. I think I'll go ahead and get everything buuuut I'm either going to replace that heatsink fan or get a new case, taking suggestions on either or, I'd love to have my decisions made before sleeping in about an hour, I need to purchase all this tomorrow to meet a deadline :(
#92Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/21/2013 12:07:05 AM
I would suggest looking for a new case. It's always nice to have extra room. As for dimensions, my case is 8.3" wide and fits the 212 EVO with maybe a half inch to spare.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#10HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 12:21:09 AM(edited)
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
I would suggest looking for a new case. It's always nice to have extra room. As for dimensions, my case is 8.3" wide and fits the 212 EVO with maybe a half inch to spare.

I suppose you're right, I'll go for a new case that's slightly more expensive to stay under my $700 goal, what do you use exactly/suggest?

And yeah I... as cool as LEDs and despite how much I love blue, I'd imagine one would get pretty annoying quickly to me, so perhaps this is for the best.

EDIT: I'm calling it a night and hoping hoping hoping for suggestions awaiting me upon awakening, I'm no good with sizes at all and want this heatsink to fit like a charm.

Thank you all for the posts so far, what was a horrible night for a moment turned around.