This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I made a one-click way to change which monitor is your primary

#1CapwnDPosted 9/20/2013 10:42:56 PM(edited)
When using Ultraomon, I found a way to quickly switch which monitor is your primary. I know that Steam Big Picture solves this, but who wants to use Big Picture on your PC if you don't have to? Big Picture is a great idea for TVs when you're using a controller, but it's so clumsy and fat, and useless if you are at your PC and you just want to temporarily change which monitor is your main.

So it's simple to do. If you have Ultramon, you can make a shortcut to your profile, and just run the shortcut (give it a nice icon picture too). The ultramon profiles are found here:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.2.2\Profiles\YOURPROFILENAME.umprofile

But I don't want Ultramon running in the background, so I made a batch file to start and then stop Ultramon instead. It runs that location I posted above, then closes Ultramon.

I originally made this .bat file to fix my display layout after running Big Picture. I started by making a way to turn off Ultramon. Create a shortcut and after Target, put the stop command, so it looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe" /stop

Then move that shortcut someplace where you keep your bat files, we'll say it's on the C drive in a folder called batch and another folder called Ultramonstartstop.

The batch file is this:

start "" "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.2.2\Profiles\cap.umprofile"

start "" "C:\batch\Ultramonstopstart\stop"
exit

The first command opens the profile, which fixes the monitor position problem. And simply opening ultramon also fixed the wallpaper problem. The second command runs the shortcut to close ultramon. You could also use Taskkill, but that doesn't close the administrator rights that Ultramon is running in order to work, unless you run the batch as an administrator, so the easier way is to simply use the /stop parameter in the shortcut.

Next, I wanted to have a delay between starting ultramon and stopping it, so that I wouldn't screw up anything in Ultramon. So I added a little loop, and it makes the DOS screen go kind of matrix for a few seconds.

@echo off
set loopvar=1
:looplabel
set /a loopvar=%loopvar%+1
echo %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random%
if '%loopvar%'=='2000' goto endlabel
goto looplabel
:endlabel

You can make it longer or shorter by changing the number at the end. Place that between the first and second command, so the entire thing should look like this:

start "" "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.2.2\Profiles\cap.umprofile"
@echo off
set loopvar=1
:looplabel
set /a loopvar=%loopvar%+1
echo %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random%
if '%loopvar%'=='2000' goto endlabel
goto looplabel
:endlabel
start "" "C:\batch\Ultramonstopstart\stop"
exit

---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#2SlashmanSGPosted 9/20/2013 10:29:30 PM
Or just press windows key + p.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#3CapwnD(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:34:43 PM(edited)
SlashmanSG posted...
Or just press windows key + p.

Sure, if you don't want to use the second monitor. I sometimes like to have temperatures on the second monitor, or maps or whatever.

And one click > 2 clicks! Though 2 clicks would be worth it to save the space for shortuts or macros.
---
#4CapwnD(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:04:12 PM
Working great, no problems yet.
---