This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a fairly cheap keyboard.

#1blade6321Posted 9/21/2013 3:21:20 AM
Few quick questions:

1. Are there are any mechanical keyboards worth it around the 20-25 range?

2. Are they really as loud as they say?
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/21/2013 4:59:57 AM(edited)
1. No

2. Yes

Mechanical keyboards are fairly loud. Even the ones that are known for being not as loud as the Cherry MX blues, are pretty loud compared to most regular rubber domes. In my experience, there are 3 things you can do about it. Opt for any other key than Cherry MX blues, Install o-rings, put the keyboard on a soft surface like a large mousemat instead of your wooden desk. That considerably reduces the amount of noise that is produced by the keyboard.

If you are looking for a cheap mechanical keyboard that is good quality,but is not too loud. Then the cooler master quickfire rapid in browns , reds or blacks (my preference is browns) is a good buy. They are still around 70 pounds though.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3Fade2black001Posted 9/21/2013 4:47:47 AM
Im shocked. Youa re spending a 100+ on a keyboard and they can't bother to make it quite? That's some BS. I bet my 8 year old POS Dell Keyboard will be quieter than they are. That's just wrong that they make them so loud.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#4wizardmonPosted 9/21/2013 4:55:32 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
Im shocked. Youa re spending a 100+ on a keyboard and they can't bother to make it quite? That's some BS. I bet my 8 year old POS Dell Keyboard will be quieter than they are. That's just wrong that they make them so loud.

I spent 100$ on my keyboard so it would be louder.
A lot of people enjoy the sound of Blues, myself included.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#5_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/21/2013 5:01:17 AM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...

I think they were aiming for other things than making a keyboard that is quiet with some of the switches that are available. The focus is probably on not sacrificing any of those almost "old school" typing characteristics. I think it is both the sound and feel that attracts a lot of people to these kind of keyboards. If however, a quiet keyboard is what you want, then there are still options. You can go for Topre or Alps that are not much (if any) louder than your typical rubber dome. Clears are supposed to be quiet too.

---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#6blade6321(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 5:19:38 AM
Alright, thanks guys.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.