This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a laptop for school

#21MyDogSkipPosted 9/21/2013 12:20:46 PM
Saga3 posted...
MyDogSkip posted...
Saga3 posted...
Yeah, the 128 GB SSD isn't enough. And it's actually cheaper now that I look at it (Thought the basic was 1300) since I'm using euro it's only 1050. But it won't be enough space. There's also the fact that Mac has a lot of compatibility issues in my college, such as getting taught C++ on a windows machine is different from doing it on Xcode.

I'll look into those other ones too thanks.

Keep in mind many universities offer a lot of software, such as Windows, for free. Bootcamp (installing Windows on a Mac for dual boot) works pretty decently. But if you're looking to spend around $1000 and get a 256 GB, you might be better off looking at other models. Laptops such as the Acer Aspire S7 and the Samsung Ativ Book 9 are worth a look as well. I'm not up to date on their pricing.

Will do, thanks. As for windows, it's not offered free where I am. Even so, getting a Macbook just for bootcamp seems like a waste.

You certainly get more out of it if you plan to use both OSes. Getting a MacBook specifically for running Windows made a lot more sense a couple of years ago when most other manufacturers put out nothing but crap. There are plenty of great Windows laptops these days.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz | ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | ASUS DCII GTX 670 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Antec EA-650W | 120GB Intel 520 | 1TB HDD | Corsair 400R | Hyper 212+ | 2560x1440
#22Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 1:00:32 PM
Done looking at the ones listed, and I'll definitely wait for Haswell before buying one.

The Yoga is good, but I really don't care for the hybrid too much.

The Acer Aspire is $1400 for a i7 256GB SSD (Can't seem to find an i5 with 256GB)

The Samsung is also good, but is also around $1400 for 128 GB

Likewise with the Zenbook, only HDDs for the i5 version, 256 GB for the i7 which is $1600.

And surprisingly enough the Air's price seems relatively tame in comparison to these..

It's awkward because there are so many variances for each model so it's hard finding the right one. Is there is site essentially like http://pcpartpicker.com/ that allows me to select filters to come up with the right pick? It's a shame because it doesn't even need to be quad core I just need battery and space (SSD of course)
#23ShubPosted 9/21/2013 1:11:37 PM
Saga3 posted...
The Yoga is good, but I really don't care for the hybrid too much.

Keep in mind you don't have to use it in any way other than as a regular laptop. It has a touch screen which folds 360, but you can just lift the lid by 90-120 or whatever you're comfortable with and never touch the touch screen and it'll work like any standard laptop.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#24ZukkusPosted 9/21/2013 1:13:55 PM
Lenovo usually has some reasonably price laptops, considering all you're going to need is a glorified word processor and internet surfer.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#25RheygarPosted 9/21/2013 2:05:25 PM
I know you don't like Windows 8, but I know of a few people who really like the Surface Pro + OneNote for writing in class, and it does well in all the other programs as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OROShRVzQ&list=FLyrfK_dCQ_IX_OxVvMXmo5w&index=2

Review of Surface Pro/One Note from a graduate mathematics student.

I'd wait for Haswell and the keyboard/battery attachment coming before considering one.
#26Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 3:24:43 PM
Been looking into it and it's a toss up between the Macbook Air and the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro which releases in October with Haswell; it's also insanely cheap for what you get but I'll wait and see.

Think I should go with the latter?
#27LaMichael_JamesPosted 9/21/2013 3:35:25 PM
you're learning c++ and you're not doing it in a unix shell? wat
---
GOAT
#28Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 3:37:24 PM
LaMichael_James posted...
you're learning c++ and you're not doing it in a unix shell? wat

Was an example, I'm only there a week; didn't exactly start. I was just using my flawed information as an example don't worry :)