This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

anyone on this board do hardware mods? PC case modding, console modding, etc?

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 9/21/2013 7:46:31 AM
Kinda curious about it.
#2ElDudorinoPosted 9/21/2013 7:52:16 AM
Like, cutting a window in a PC case? Or like that dude who creates his own cases from blocks of wood and paints them and ends up with a computer that is actually an airship from Final Fantasy or is Link with a light-up sword?
#3KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 8:36:40 AM
yup.
#4BowsaaPosted 9/21/2013 8:41:28 AM
I'd like to try my hand at building my own case at some point. I saw some that someone made on imgur and thought they were amazing.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#5Digital StormPosted 9/21/2013 8:52:46 AM
I've painted cases, done countless window mods (before PCs came with windowed side panels), and I've even been known to get a little crazy and do hard drive window mods.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6ElDudorinoPosted 9/21/2013 8:58:05 AM
What are you curious about? Just how many people have done it? Or how to actually do it?

I mean, anybody can chop up a case. If you're the Arts and Crafts type, you'll do a nicer job of it. I don't think there's any particularly special skill involved, really. Helps to have the right tools and everything, but yeah.
#7KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 9:04:16 AM
ElDudorino posted...
What are you curious about? Just how many people have done it? Or how to actually do it?

I mean, anybody can chop up a case. If you're the Arts and Crafts type, you'll do a nicer job of it. I don't think there's any particularly special skill involved, really. Helps to have the right tools and everything, but yeah.

I'm thinking of doing something like it once i build a desktop. it seems cool.
#8Cobra152004Posted 9/21/2013 9:10:49 AM(edited)
I've taken a Dremel tool to a few cases. I usually just add fans and remove restrictive fan grates.
I'm still using an Antec 900 with three 120mm fans pulling air from underneath in addition to the stock fans. I also cut some holes under the motherboard for easier cable routing and access to the back of the motherboard for heatsink backplate manipulation. It cools well and remains nearly silent with fans on low voltage settings. The elastic bungee suspended harddrives can still be heard over remaining fan noise. It strikes a good balance of cooling and near silence with a mild overclock.