This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dimmdrive worth it?

#101SmakkyofacePosted 9/24/2013 7:18:05 AM
TimDD posted...
Garquille14 posted...
How does picking and choosing which files to load work?

Hey there!

There is a lot of development going into the ability to streamline what game files are Dimmdrived. In about 5 days this should be initially released and I'm super excited. A LOT of people have been asking for this.

Best part is, it won't stop there. After this feature gets added this weekend, I'm going to expand upon it quite a bit to make it smarter and easier to use. A large focus of Dimmdrive is actually going to be around the concept of "Making a 20GB game work with less GB than your dimmdrive".

I'll be making a video showing exactly how it works this weekend. Trust me, it'll be easy, it is looking fantastic so far!

A big thing to note: All upgrades are free forever. So if you get it now you'll get every update that comes along. There is an Update Log on the dimmdrive.com website to see what's already been updated that will be continually built upon.

We are very active with the community on bug reports and feature requests as well!

Dear Tim,

You just made me order 64gb of ram. There goes my profits!
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 32GB DDR3 1600 | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#102TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 7:27:43 AM
coolpal23 posted...

What did tim say in the first message that got removed?

I didn't realize something was removed until I went back and looked.

I found the 2 posts I made, and both of them had me saying somewhat rude things about DRM that companies use to shaft their customers, with some possible unkind references by me about Microsoft's "always on" XBoxOne DRM shenanigans a while back. DRM that strangles the customer will only lead to bad sales and/or rampant piracy.

I'll be more kind to things I disagree strongly with :) Safe to say, I'll never pull that kind of stunt with anything I create.
#103TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 7:28:57 AM
Smakkyoface posted...

Dear Tim,

You just made me order 64gb of ram. There goes my profits!

Awesome! Now if only I could figure out how to make 10 million other people say that... :)
#104aak57Posted 9/24/2013 7:32:15 AM
This sounds cool, but seems like it'd only be worth it if you have like 32GB of RAM. Sitting at 8, it's hard for me to justify the money.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#105TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 10:20:47 AM
aak57 posted...
This sounds cool, but seems like it'd only be worth it if you have like 32GB of RAM. Sitting at 8, it's hard for me to justify the money.

The more RAM the better of course, but even with 8, you can Dimmdrive Firefox, Chrome, smaller games. Plus, a big update is coming to Dimmdrive that lets you specific game files VS the whole game install, which is practically made for you. Upgrades to the software are always free.
#106TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 10:21:57 AM
Btw: If anybody here has some graphic design talent, I'd be willing to swap a full Dimmdrive license in exchange for some graphic design (banners) work. Just shoot me a PM on forums.dimmdrive.com (I'm Tim).
#107XjphPosted 9/24/2013 10:40:41 AM
For those new to the whole ramdisk thing, there are free alternatives to this, such as ImDisk, but the experience isn't quite as streamlined. (No automatically loading steam games into the ramdisk for example.)

Is it worth the cost for these extra features? Quite possibly. Depends on how smooth the experience is and how much that's worth to you I suppose. I will say that it certainly does seem to have a substantial value-add over barebones ramdisk software. I'm not sure it has $37 worth of extra value for me though.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#108Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 10:43:56 AM
TimDD posted...
Btw: If anybody here has some graphic design talent, I'd be willing to swap a full Dimmdrive license in exchange for some graphic design (banners) work. Just shoot me a PM on forums.dimmdrive.com (I'm Tim).

I can draw pictures of cats in MS paint, is that good enough?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#109TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 10:55:29 AM
Xjph posted...
For those new to the whole ramdisk thing, there are free alternatives to this, such as ImDisk, but the experience isn't quite as streamlined. (No automatically loading steam games into the ramdisk for example.)

Is it worth the cost for these extra features? Quite possibly. Depends on how smooth the experience is and how much that's worth to you I suppose. I will say that it certainly does seem to have a substantial value-add over barebones ramdisk software. I'm not sure it has $37 worth of extra value for me though.

Oh I don't pretend to have invented ramdrives. I worked with them back in the 90s on Sun Microsystem servers, but back then, the servers cost half a million bucks each, yadda yadda.

My whole goal with Dimmdrive is to bring Ramdrive to the mass of gamers of all walks of life and technical abilities. I want to simplify the process, make it highly reliable, extreeeeeeeeemely featureful, and streamlined for gamers by having a wide variety of game specific features. That's my goal! I think it's up to each person to see if that corresponds to the $37 tag. I think it does :)
#110TheFeshPincePosted 9/24/2013 11:00:01 AM
I'll give you $10.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4