This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dimmdrive worth it?

#121dennis941012Posted 9/24/2013 11:43:05 AM
myabe i will throw out extra 280gb of ssd for 64gb ram disk when I build my computer D:
---
Painful Slow Death To Incompetent Junglers
#122TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 11:47:26 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
This sounds really cool.

Now I wish I had more than 8gb of RAM.

I might have to get more just for this.

Okay I just got swamped with PMs so give me a bit to respond to everything!

Even 8GB you can take advantage of things like Firefox/Chrome blazing fast, smaller games, etc. Keep in mind you get free Dimmdrive.com upgrades and our next update has a big feature for smaller ram sizes!

As far as the crap versions of Win7 that limit you on RAM, I think you would need the non-starter/prem version. Do gamers even use the restricted Win7 installs anyway? I did looking into this a while back and found that not many people have the unrestricted Win7 anyway, and Win8 has 128GB base and 512GB on their pro/ent versions.
#123Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 11:50:44 AM
Windows 7 Home Premium has a limit of 16GB. Professional or better is needed for higher amounts than that.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#124SinisterSlayPosted 9/24/2013 11:50:44 AM
TimDD posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
This sounds really cool.

Now I wish I had more than 8gb of RAM.

I might have to get more just for this.

Okay I just got swamped with PMs so give me a bit to respond to everything!

Even 8GB you can take advantage of things like Firefox/Chrome blazing fast, smaller games, etc. Keep in mind you get free Dimmdrive.com upgrades and our next update has a big feature for smaller ram sizes!

As far as the crap versions of Win7 that limit you on RAM, I think you would need the non-starter/prem version. Do gamers even use the restricted Win7 installs anyway? I did looking into this a while back and found that not many people have the unrestricted Win7 anyway, and Win8 has 128GB base and 512GB on their pro/ent versions.

Well its easy enough to upgrade to pro.

I'll have to check my laptop, see if it has slots open for RAM. Too bad RAM got so expensive.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#125TheFeshPincePosted 9/24/2013 11:50:59 AM
Yes. Some of us bought W7 Home Premium. :( Honestly, I didn't know anything about RAM drives at all when I built my PC.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#126TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 11:59:31 AM
TheFeshPince posted...
Yes. Some of us bought W7 Home Premium. :( Honestly, I didn't know anything about RAM drives at all when I built my PC.

16GB isn't at all bad, but more is always better. I googled up and there is an upgrade route you can do for Windows, not too spendy actually.

At first, Windows 8 was.... well. Yea. But with the recent update, return of the start bar, etc., it actually is pretty nice. Boots faster, games run smooth (esp window-mode which is what I do since I live stream on Twitch).

Either way, 16GB on up, it's a big boost. I'm really excited for this weekend when the big Dimmdrive update goes in which is heavily targetted to people with 16GB and less (or games which are HUGE in size).
#127TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 1:26:52 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

Well its easy enough to upgrade to pro.

I'll have to check my laptop, see if it has slots open for RAM. Too bad RAM got so expensive.

Yea I've heard the Windows Anytime upgrades are actually pretty easy, which I think is important when it is your OS after all!

I'm not sure about laptop RAM, but desktop RAM is pretty cheap these days. I've seen 32G kits recently around for as low as $160 (just now via Google shopping 8x4GB $156).

If I had to recommend to somebody whether to spend $250-300 on a SSD, or 32+ GB of RAM, I think, for speed at least, the ram+ramdrive (and get a USB3 drive) is a better deal. It gives you more options. Plus, me personally, having a limited space on a SSD is sorta a downer. All in all, this gives more options to people. You don't have to go the HDD -> SSD route anymore.
#128Snuckie7Posted 9/24/2013 2:35:34 PM
This looks really cool. Too bad I missed the giveaways.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#129CC RicersPosted 9/24/2013 2:43:03 PM
I'm limited to 16 gigs because of my ITX mobo :o

I still plan to make a RAM disk though, if I can split 6 GB for desktop use and 10 GB for storage use, it would be fine for daily use.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#130TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 7:08:03 PM
CC Ricers posted...
I'm limited to 16 gigs because of my ITX mobo :o

I still plan to make a RAM disk though, if I can split 6 GB for desktop use and 10 GB for storage use, it would be fine for daily use.

Still a lot you can do with 16G of ram, especially in the upcoming upgrade to Dimmdrive :)