This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dimmdrive worth it?

#91thatfool12GsPosted 9/23/2013 8:16:55 PM
Installed it..

After POST my PC burst into flames. TimDD, can you help me?
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#92SmakkyofacePosted 9/23/2013 11:16:13 PM
First impressions:

- Can confirm that it does not need an online connection everytime.
- From my experience so far, the steam games will not load up, perhaps the update will fix it. Also, dragging shortcuts onto the "Other Programs" box does not work either. However, manually dragging files from disk drive into the ramdisk is still quick and painless. Just make sure to run the executable files from the disk and you'll be flying.
- Completely skips loading screens of GW2 and only ~1.5 secs of loading on FFXIV:A realm reborn.
- Improved the issue of dipping frames when loading new environment (GW2 and FFXIV)

is it worth 37 bucks? if you've already got extra ram? DEFINITELY!

is it worth upgrading ram plus this program? I'm not sure.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 32GB DDR3 1600 | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#93Cool_Dude667Posted 9/24/2013 12:24:05 AM
Hmm I might pick this up sometime
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#94GarquillPosted 9/24/2013 6:07:53 AM
How does picking and choosing which files to load work?
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#95TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 6:34:38 AM
Smakkyoface posted...
First impressions:

- From my experience so far, the steam games will not load up, perhaps the update will fix it. Also, dragging shortcuts onto the "Other Programs" box does not work either. However, manually dragging files from disk drive into the ramdisk is still quick and painless. Just make sure to run the executable files from the disk and you'll be flying.
- Completely skips loading screens of GW2 and only ~1.5 secs of loading on FFXIV:A realm reborn.
- Improved the issue of dipping frames when loading new environment (GW2 and FFXIV)

is it worth upgrading ram plus this program? IT SURE AS HELL IS - SELL YOUR BLOOD TO BUY THIS PROGRAM!.

Hey Smakky!

The Steam bug you're having is a known bug and getting fixed this weekend. It was actually a tough bug, it seems that older/legacy Steam users have this issue, whereas newer ones (I set up a new Steam account) don't. It affects about 30%-ish of users. Odd I know, but we have a fix planned :)

You comment about the dragging of programs into the Other Programs area. Well guess what? I made a video just based on your comment.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jic1SaMrTw

Awesome that it helps GW2 and FFXIV!! Hell yea :)

PS: For anybody who wants to get a hold of me/community of DDers, we have a forum: http://forums.dimmdrive.com So if you have any questions, you can also post there.
#96SmakkyofacePosted 9/24/2013 6:42:38 AM
Garquille14 posted...

They havent added this feature yet. I'm very interested to see how well this is implemented. I'm sure the actual process would be proprietary.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 32GB DDR3 1600 | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#97Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 6:47:08 AM
TimDD posted...
Smakkyoface posted...
First impressions:

is it worth upgrading ram plus this program? IT SURE AS HELL IS - SELL YOUR BLOOD TO BUY THIS PROGRAM!.

Hey Smakky!

The Steam bug you're having is a known bug and getting fixed this weekend. It was actually a tough bug, it seems that older/legacy Steam users have this issue, whereas newer ones (I set up a new Steam account) don't. It affects about 30%-ish of users. Odd I know, but we have a fix planned :)

You comment about the dragging of programs into the Other Programs area. Well guess what? I made a video just based on your comment.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jic1SaMrTw

Awesome that it helps GW2 and FFXIV!! Hell yea :)

PS: For anybody who wants to get a hold of me/community of DDers, we have a forum: http://forums.dimmdrive.com So if you have any questions, you can also post there.

Damn, I'm a 10 year user so that wouldn't work for me then. Pre-order cancelled.

I'm still debating whether I want to get this or not, not sure if it's worth it with 16GB total since I feel like the games that benefit the most would be pretty big.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#98SmakkyofacePosted 9/24/2013 7:04:43 AM
Ch3wy posted...

I'm still debating whether I want to get this or not, not sure if it's worth it with 16GB total since I feel like the games that benefit the most would be pretty big.

If they implement the selective files feature pretty well, then 16gb would be fine. But I would definitely assess the games that you want the most improvement on and see if the whole game fits. I'm pretty excited in seeing this program develop. I tried ramdisk last year and that was much more of a hassle than this program so I'm already a fan.

At 16gb, I'd say you're good. You can set 10gb for dimmdriving and 6gb is still quite a lot for gaming. Now it's just a matter of whether the games you want to play are less than 10gb.
---
#99TimDDPosted 9/24/2013 7:12:39 AM
Garquille14 posted...

Hey there!

There is a lot of development going into the ability to streamline what game files are Dimmdrived. In about 5 days this should be initially released and I'm super excited. A LOT of people have been asking for this.

Best part is, it won't stop there. After this feature gets added this weekend, I'm going to expand upon it quite a bit to make it smarter and easier to use. A large focus of Dimmdrive is actually going to be around the concept of "Making a 20GB game work with less GB than your dimmdrive".

I'll be making a video showing exactly how it works this weekend. Trust me, it'll be easy, it is looking fantastic so far!

A big thing to note: All upgrades are free forever. So if you get it now you'll get every update that comes along. There is an Update Log on the dimmdrive.com website to see what's already been updated that will be continually built upon.

We are very active with the community on bug reports and feature requests as well!
#100Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 7:16:31 AM
Smakkyoface posted...
Ch3wy posted...

If they implement the selective files feature pretty well, then 16gb would be fine. But I would definitely assess the games that you want the most improvement on and see if the whole game fits. I'm pretty excited in seeing this program develop. I tried ramdisk last year and that was much more of a hassle than this program so I'm already a fan.

At 16gb, I'd say you're good. You can set 10gb for dimmdriving and 6gb is still quite a lot for gaming. Now it's just a matter of whether the games you want to play are less than 10gb.

Yeah I'll have to check out how big the games I have are. Tempted to get another 16GB kit just for this, but I think I'll wait until RAM prices drop. The kit I bought a year ago for $80 some dollars is now $156.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.