This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how is a 6870 compared to ps4 graphics?

#11Teufel_xPosted 9/21/2013 6:16:12 PM
ps4 graphics is equvilant to a 7850 stock which is equvilant to a 6950 when it originally came out before these newer faster drivers.

but still equvilant to a 7850.

So your graphics slightly are worse than a console now!
---
Playin Oldschool games for your enjoyment :)
MAG - 4X VET, PSN ID: Teufel9000 add me for Games!
#12rareware101Posted 9/21/2013 7:02:05 PM
Nicodimus posted...
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
But, the consoles have the software advantage so their hardware will age much more gracefully.

That has always been the case with consoles, but not this time.

This time there is virtually no learning curve. They're working on basically PC architecture. They already know everything it can do. The early PS4 games are not going to look way worse than the later PS4 games.

I think by software advantage they mean direct to metal coding allowed by a fixed hardware spec. At least I hope they did as software advantage doesn't mean anything.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#13MachEvolutionPosted 9/21/2013 8:08:55 PM
Last I heard the GPU portion of the APU in the PS4 is nearly identical to the 7790 that AMD released earlier this year.

I'm not sure on exact comparisons, but I think the 7790 is roughly equivalent to the 6870 but with newer technology that gives it a noticeable edge.
#14SenkoyPosted 9/21/2013 9:08:20 PM
Nicodimus posted...
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
But, the consoles have the software advantage so their hardware will age much more gracefully.

This time there is virtually no learning curve. They're working on basically PC architecture. They already know everything it can do. The early PS4 games are not going to look way worse than the later PS4 games.

Wrong. There is much more that goes into optimization than just architecture. Developers have low level access to the hardware on consoles, which gives them a ton of optimization option. Also, the PS4 has unified memory. On PC, memory from RAM has to be moved over to the graphics RAM, which takes time.

Although optimization wont be as significant as last gen, it will always be a factor when working on a closed system vs an open one.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#15Knighted DragonPosted 9/21/2013 9:25:33 PM
Last I heard the GPU portion of the APU in the PS4 is nearly identical to the 7790 that AMD released earlier this year.

I'm not sure on exact comparisons, but I think the 7790 is roughly equivalent to the 6870 but with newer technology that gives it a noticeable edge.

This. It's not a 7850, it's slightly weaker. And people think optimization is some magical thing that lets them make hardware overclock it self and run in over drive to get more juice out of it, when it's not. By "optimizing" games for consoles they just remove everything they can to make the game more streamlined and easier to run and crank down the res. People always throw out that lame excuse of "Well try to run it on a PC from that time!" like it means anything, but a PC from that time WILL get identical performance to the 360 if you lower the res to sub 720 and remove all the clutter and debris, details like grass and dirt, and parts of levels that are not drastically important.
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#16ATARIJAWAPosted 9/21/2013 11:53:47 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...

This. It's not a 7850, it's slightly weaker. And people think optimization is some magical thing that lets them make hardware overclock it self and run in over drive to get more juice out of it, when it's not. By "optimizing" games for consoles they just remove everything they can to make the game more streamlined and easier to run and crank down the res. People always throw out that lame excuse of "Well try to run it on a PC from that time!" like it means anything, but a PC from that time WILL get identical performance to the 360 if you lower the res to sub 720 and remove all the clutter and debris, details like grass and dirt, and parts of levels that are not drastically important.

again it's a 7970m. That's m as in mobile gpu.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#17TimePharaohPosted 9/22/2013 12:00:12 AM
Senkoy posted...
Nicodimus posted...
TheWayOfTheGun posted...

Wrong. There is much more that goes into optimization than just architecture. Developers have low level access to the hardware on consoles, which gives them a ton of optimization option. Also, the PS4 has unified memory. On PC, memory from RAM has to be moved over to the graphics RAM, which takes time.

Although optimization wont be as significant as last gen, it will always be a factor when working on a closed system vs an open one.

Dat cloud computing and optimization m i rite pc=finished
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#18Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 9/22/2013 4:21:28 AM
MachEvolution posted...

Nah, the 7790 only has 16ROPs the PS4 GPU has 32. The PS4 is closer to a 7850 give or take.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#19ECOsvaldoPosted 9/22/2013 4:23:15 AM
7850 is about right for PS4 graphics.
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#20redrum187Posted 9/22/2013 1:43:28 PM
you could say the PS4 has a HD7860 since it has 1152 shaders/ALUs compared to the HD7850's 1024 and HD7870's 1280.
---
i still haven't found what i'm looking for...