This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Steam Box would actually be a bad idea, here's why.

#11__starsnostarsPosted 9/21/2013 5:10:03 PM
Half Life 3 will be a steambox exclusive.
#12claytonbuckleyPosted 9/21/2013 5:34:07 PM
the Steam box is bad for 1 reason.

Alot of PC games are not made with the player far from the screen in mind. Witcher 2 for example. When i tried to play it on my HTPC, the text in the game is way to small to be seen from the couch. Same with Remember Me and it subtitles. I'm sure there are more but i gave up after those 2.

And also because this is another Steam Box topic i feel the need to explain what the Steam Box is.
The Steam Box is just an idea set by Valve to PC manufacturers to make cheap PC that run Steam Big Picture with a Linux OS. Valve said somewhere they will put one together themselves (i think)

So yeah, alot of us have Steam Boxes already. We have cheap small PCs connected to our TVs that run Steam Big Picture. Only difference is they probably don't run Linux.
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#13KaiRyusakiPosted 9/21/2013 5:37:47 PM(edited)
claytonbuckley posted...
the Steam box is bad for 1 reason.

Alot of PC games are not made with the player far from the screen in mind. Witcher 2 for example. When i tried to play it on my HTPC, the text in the game is way to small to be seen from the couch. Same with Remember Me and it subtitles. I'm sure there are more but i gave up after those 2.

And also because this is another Steam Box topic i feel the need to explain what the Steam Box is.
The Steam Box is just an idea set by Valve to PC manufacturers to make cheap PC that run Steam Big Picture with a Linux OS. Valve said somewhere they will put one together themselves (i think)

So yeah, alot of us have Steam Boxes already. We have cheap small PCs connected to our TVs that run Steam Big Picture. Only difference is they probably don't run Linux.

Many games already have features that changes the HUD and crap for "Big Picture Mode". More games would just have to do this
#14sauruschamp1Posted 9/21/2013 8:42:39 PM
If it was even slightly profitable (at least more than a full tower) then I could see it being usefull for lan's and tournaments.
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#15AsucaHayashiPosted 9/21/2013 8:51:11 PM
EDIT: Ah. Also i forgot, people here hate consoles, YET THEY WANT ONE MADE BY VALVE.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/67193109
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#16claytonbuckleyPosted 9/22/2013 12:21:58 AM
It's not a 'console'

As i have mentioned about 77 trillion times, the Steam Box is just a small PC

It's just ment to be small and cheap and can run Steam Big Picture. it'll still be a PC running an OS
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#17Majoras_pantsPosted 9/22/2013 12:43:55 AM
First: $2000 gaming PC? Nobofy expects that.

Throw together $600 worth the parts so that it's just barely outperforming PS4.

And where did you think it was said that everyone here wants a console made by valve? We have PCs. These are for confused console gamers who want to move up to PC gaming but don't know where to start.
#18ThunderPotatoPosted 9/22/2013 1:43:27 AM
harcoreblazer posted...
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
The target audience doesn't want those things, PC gamers want those things... which is what makes them PC gamers. The Steam Box is supposed to draw in more console users to Steam.

But most of those console users are already getting a PS4 or Xbox One, or in the least of the cases: a Wii U.

If they wanted to join Steam, they would build a gaming PC, or get a Gaming PC, whatever suits them.

Most console gamers believe building is hard and "just work"(the slogan of the casual electronic consumer).
---
PS4's entry level tablet processor is amazing.