This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any performance difference depending on free space on a SSD?

#1xLexLuth0rxPosted 9/21/2013 6:30:19 PM
Right now I have about 40GB free on my 120. I'm thinking of moving over a game from my other HDD which would leave me with about 5GB free. Would there be any type of performance decrease if I did this?
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#2Xantose161Posted 9/21/2013 6:47:50 PM
I'm currently down to only 7GB left on my sdd and have been down to 3GB left before and noticed no performance difference.
---
I7 2600K 3.4GHz | GTX 470 1280MB SC | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Corsair 2x 4 GB | 120GB Intel 5140 SSD | CM Silent Pro 850W | 120MM Liquid Cooler | CM HAF 922
#3xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 7:33:20 PM
Okay cool. I could have sworn I'd read something saying it was advisable to have a bit of free space to run best but now I can't find it to save my life. Then again, maybe I misread it.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
#4AMDZFanPosted 9/21/2013 7:57:34 PM
It's advisable to have as much free space as you can because it allows for better wear leveling which extends the life of your drive, but you don't really need to be that afraid of it.
---
98% of people copy other people's signatures and paste it as their own.
If you are one of the 2% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
#5rareware101Posted 9/21/2013 7:59:06 PM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
Okay cool. I could have sworn I'd read something saying it was advisable to have a bit of free space to run best but now I can't find it to save my life. Then again, maybe I misread it.

Having some free space allows TRIM and garbage collection to work better and keep your drive running at its fastest. The drive will recover and you'd likely not notice it outside benchmarks however.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#6xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 8:04:28 PM
Ah okay, that makes sense. I think the 5GB free will be good then and if not, I have other stuff I can remove. I wonder how many people have them almost 100% full.
---